P68 install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Give yourself enough room to service the components in the rear of the unit when needed

Well, hoping to pick the stove up next week. Just to make sure I don’t need to build a hearth to raise my stove, is it ok to have my oak go out through the wall about 6” above where it comes out of the stove? And also, I think I’m going to try and have the vertical climb inside. They ordered a corner kit with the stove which I’m wondering if the inside pipe is black? I’m hoping so, and also wondering if none of the kit fits my install if I would be able to purchase needed items at one of the big box stores. If I do the clean out at the low point coming out of the stove, will this pass inspection? Thanks for all the help

The stove clearances in the manual I found online are a bit lacking for my simple mind. 13 “ from the corner of the stove looks like without the side plates, all the stuff behind must not get hot?
back of the stove is a good place to keep your temp probe[ if your stove has it]..
we keep it coiled up and taped to the bk of the hopper just peaking out above the hopper lid.
science there is that since it's cooler and no heat gets behind your stove, you have less chance of getting a " room is warm enough error" there by flames dropping down prematurely because the probe picked up the heat too soon......

Our local Ace hardware and our Home depot stock pellet pipe. The clean out can be anywhere,as it seals when the cover is put back on. Mine is about eye level,goes down to the stove,and straight out.I did this for several reasons,but mostly because of convenience. That side of cabin has a bit if a hill,and would suck to try and shim/block a ladder,in 3-4 foot of snow,to clean it from the outside.And,being a harman,as i have said before,there is just a 90 fitting at back of stove,and when inside plate is removed,a straight shot for the vacuum cleaner. Will try to get a picture today,so it would make more sense to you.

Reactions: ABusWrench

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Nealm66 and Ssyko
Upstairs stove flue pics

Attachments

• GEDC0749.JPG
    GEDC0749.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 125
  • GEDC0742.JPG
    GEDC0742.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 117
  • GEDC0743.JPG
    GEDC0743.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 120
  • GEDC0744.JPG
    GEDC0744.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 112
  • GEDC0748.JPG
    GEDC0748.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 130
Take is from a guy who "test burned" many a type of pellet stoves (Lennox, Cumberland, Hearthstone, Harman Accentra, plus a few more) more while living in WA ST........THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE, for Bear Mountain Wood Pellets. NO other brand even comes close. They are well worth the small premium you pay to burn them. I now live in NY and I can say the Harman P68 is the only stove I will ever own. I bought a used one (11 years old) for 1800 dollars (which is kinda high for a used pellet stove), used it one year and totally rebuilt it the next. The rebuild cost me 600.00 for parts and 8-10 hrs of my time. The stove is now as good as new and runs like a fine swiss watch.

Reactions: Ssyko and Highbeam
Take is from a guy who "test burned" many a type of pellet stoves (Lennox, Cumberland, Hearthstone, Harman Accentra, plus a few more) more while living in WA ST........THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE, for Bear Mountain Wood Pellets. NO other brand even comes close. They are well worth the small premium you pay to burn them. I now live in NY and I can say the Harman P68 is the only stove I will ever own. I bought a used one (11 years old) for 1800 dollars (which is kinda high for a used pellet stove), used it one year and totally rebuilt it the next. The rebuild cost me 600.00 for parts and 8-10 hrs of my time. The stove is now as good as new and runs like a fine swiss watch.
my dealer here in eastern Pa sells theses which are the best softwoods around.
pricey since there is the freight cost from Pacific northwest but nothing better than top doug firs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-10 Barefoot Pellets in Bucks, Lehigh, Montgomery Northampton County, PA Buc...png
    Screenshot_2020-12-10 Barefoot Pellets in Bucks, Lehigh, Montgomery Northampton County, PA Buc...png
    204.9 KB · Views: 117
bingo.......the purple bagged northern warmth are Bear Mountain in a different bag.....they are all i burn now. I used to burn Green Team pellets (which are very good) but the Bear Mountain produce about 75% LESS ash....and that is not an exaggeration.

bingo.......the purple bagged northern warmth are Bear Mountain in a different bag.....they are all i burn now. I used to burn Green Team pellets (which are very good) but the Bear Mountain produce about 75% LESS ash....and that is not an exaggeration.
just finished ton EasyBlaze softies from virginia. Those matras are softies from canada and there are 3 tons doug firs in background. Havent burned hardwoods in yrs. All my softies are very low ash and close to btu of the 9K btu Firs.

20201212_180447.jpg

Good to know, I’ll pick up a conditioner unless there’s a better option. Thank you
A conditioner for a generator is good idea, but doesn't address the type of waveform. You want either pure sinewave or a backup device using a modified sinewave that is APPROVED by Harman or you may end up damaging your stove.

Now I know why I like my Enviro. Unless it is
really cold and windy -25::C or lower I use1/2
to 3/4 of a bag a day
That's great if it's enough to heat your home. P68C input BTU is 67k and some change, with output BTU around 53500. Enviro Max INPUT BTU is 60000. So there's that...

If I'm remembering correctly, my neighbor goes through a bag a day most days, that's just south of Wash. DC in VA.

That's great if it's enough to heat your home.
Seeing as a pellet stove is a space heater mine an Enviro fe3
45000 btu input is more than adequate for the 1200 sq ft. it is heating
also, the area is over insulated and sealed, It has triple-pane windows also
The other 2000 sq ft old farmhouse uses wood heat 5 cord of Oak and hickory a year
It is not so tight

I should maybe point out, that I do not use the p68 when it is relatively mild out.
I use the NG boiler for those days.
I would guess that on thermostat, on a 42+° day, it may be <bag..
But I would guess not. On constant burn, on the lowest temp setting, and 3 feed rate.
it's a a little more than a bag..
They are a heat monster. Like to eat.
I get 24 hours on a bag on my Englander in the shop..
It would never heat my house..

Dan

Reactions: Highbeam
I should maybe point out, that I do not use the p68 when it is relatively mild out.
I use the NG boiler for those days.
I would guess that on thermostat, on a 42+° day, it may be <bag..
But I would guess not. On constant burn, on the lowest temp setting, and 3 feed rate.
it's a a little more than a bag..
They are a heat monster. Like to eat.
I get 24 hours on a bag on my Englander in the shop..
It would never heat my house..

Dan
Burn 24/7. Can go thru 2 bags in 24hrs when super cold out. HarmanP61A. BIG burnpot..

johneh said:
Now I know why I like my Enviro.
So my point being simply, smaller stove, less heat, less fuel consumption. It sounded like there was something special about your model stove, like more efficient than many others, etc., but it's just less BTU than P68.
Should mention that the P61A is heating a 100yr old house that is not insulated.. doubleP windows but nothing in the walls. 2 floors so i think most stoves would use that or more in 20 degree or less temps including your Enviro. 8yrs of 24/7 and 1 ignitor replaced. Just sayin.

Should mention that the P61A is heating a 100yr old house that is not insulated.. doubleP windows but nothing in the walls. 2 floors so i think most stoves would use that or more in 20 degree or less temps including your Enviro. 8yrs of 24/7 and 1 ignitor replaced. Just sayin.
1895 house, here, just about same condition..
Stove is in the basement. so actually keeping 2000sq.ft. warm.
Basement is usually 60-62°
Upstairs 65-67°.
40° day, colder night, takes a bag and a half..

Dan

Reactions: Washed-Up
1895 house, here, just about same condition..
Stove is in the basement. so actually keeping 2000sq.ft. warm.
Basement is usually 60-62°
Upstairs 65-67°.
40° day, colder night, takes a bag and a half..

Dan
sounds about right.. Am keeping main floor at 72 and upstairs 67 so our consumption sounds on par..