P68....Smoke smell during Shutdown....Normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaCub

Apr 4, 2008
Interior Alaska
Is it normal to smell some smoke coming from the blower vents when the stove is shutdown, such as turned off? I didn't smell it when it was burning good but when I turned it off we can smell smoke in the house. I have flashlighted every single junction where somke could leak and cant find any leaks but you can smell it from the distribution ports if you put your face near them.

No theres no open windows and the exhaust pipe was cleaned prior to install. The smell of smoke is very mild but you can smell it a little, and it went away after a little while. Seemed like it was strongest right after I switched it to off. I could only smell it coming from the distribution blower vents.

double check around the starter collar.
smoke from the distribution vents = most likely being pulled in from this first connection by the blower.
or stuck open air intake flapper on the back of the stove, when stove goes to low draft it may backpuff
worst case cracked Heat Exchanger
just some thoughts.... :coolsmirk:
How do you turn it off?
Do you use outside air?
how long does the combustion blower run after the fire is out, if it is still smoking after the comb blower shuts off you may have a bad ESProbe

I know on my parent P-68 we had the smoke smell a little on shutdown, it ended up being on of the elbows, I believe the 45deg was leaking a little. We used some kind a silver tape the dealer gave us to seal it and also used a high temp silicone and it hasn't been back since. Also I did notice on a friend of mines p61 his vent goes out a few feet from his windows and you could smell the smoke once in awhile from that. Once again no outside air used there either.

Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.