Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 non-combustible ember protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robis1923

Oct 30, 2021
Evergreen, CO
Hi. I am waiting for my PE T5 Alderlea to be installed later this month. Instead of the recommended hearth pad our installer recommended (Graysen 54x54" ceramic pad), I've decided to construct a tiled hearth pad that'll compliment the tiled fireplace surround I will be installing. I've read a lot about r-values needed for hearth pads, but the only specification the T5 manual gives is for a non-combustible ember protector. Am I correct in my understanding that all I need is an adequately sized tile pad (or similar non-combustible surface), but that r-value does not apply to this application? If so, I plan to screw a sheet of durarock to my osb subfloor, face it with aluminum trim and tile directly over the durarock. Thanks for the feedback.

Cool. My idea should work then. I’d prefer a thin sheet of metal, but I have to cover up the plywood floors with something more attractive. Thanks!