Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stover4Life

Nov 7, 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
I am trying to figure out how to efficiently run my wood burning stove and have some questions I was hoping I could get some feedback on:

1. What should be my stoves maximum exterior temperature - top plate? (Infrared temperature gauge read from the top of the stove)
  2. I have an early T6 and I have never been able to get the EBT to work correctly, should I close off the opening for it?
  3. Any advice on control? It seems to me that I get the stove up to temperature and then turn the throttle down to 1/3 open and the fire intensity lowers and I lose the secondary burn. In order to get secondary burn the throttle needs to be approximately 2/3 to 1/2 open. Wood is osage orange (hedge), seasoned by 3 years, moisture rate is 10% or below, can't seem to figure this stove out.
Thanks for the help

I am trying to figure out how to efficiently run my wood burning stove and have some questions I was hoping I could get some feedback on:

1. What should be my stoves maximum exterior temperature - top plate? (Infrared temperature gauge read from the top of the stove)
  2. I have an early T6 and I have never been able to get the EBT to work correctly, should I close off the opening for it?
  3. Any advice on control? It seems to me that I get the stove up to temperature and then turn the throttle down to 1/3 open and the fire intensity lowers and I lose the secondary burn. In order to get secondary burn the throttle needs to be approximately 2/3 to 1/2 open. Wood is osage orange (hedge), seasoned by 3 years, moisture rate is 10% or below, can't seem to figure this stove out.
Thanks for the help

I have a similar sister stove to your Alderlea T6, a PE Summit. The manual doesn't state what maximum exterior temperature is allowable. I try to keep mine between 600-750 for good heat. Anything north of that is a little too hot, although yours is a high quality stove and should be very hard to over fire.I cannot comment on the EBT, as I haven't inspected mine, I have read accounts of them being stuck open, which would screw up your low burn. As for point number 3 you may be cutting your stove back too quickly. I find mine responds best to a slow incremental shut down. Slamming it closed doesn't produce good results in my case.

Thank you for the advice. I was also wondering if anyone happens to know a good substitute for the air baffle retention pin. I lost mine a couple years back and feel uncomfortable when loading the stove. I would guess any pin would work that has a high melting point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,