Pacific Energy fp30ar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gusguy

Jul 15, 2017
Northern WI
The answer may be here some where but I couldn't find it. I have a chance to pick up a new left over pe fp30 ar. I'm pretty sure the ar means it's a series A model. The shop is offering me a pretty good price on it just to move it out. It'll be replacing an old heat n glo em 42 on the main floor of a 2 1/2 story chalet style home. My question is about a heat transfer kit so I can duct heat into the finished basement below. The manual only talks about gravity vents and the powered transfer kit states for B series only. Does anyone know if there's something I can retrofit to make it work on the older model? If I can't it's kind of a deal breaker. Sorry for the long winded first post. Just trying to get away from propane

Get clarification on the model first fp30 ar might mean the arched version.

20170714_143804.jpg
This is the actual unit. It is the arch model and I have the manual that states fp30 ar

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I realize it sounds like a silly question, I'm just trying to make sure this unit is capable of what I'm trying to do. I appreciate any info and opinions I can get. This place is a wealth of knowledge

View attachment 198572
This is the actual unit. It is the arch model and I have the manual that states fp30 ar
The manual will clearly state if it is a series B model on the front page. If your manual doesn't say B then it's an A model.
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 9.59.28 AM.png

It's a capable heater based roughly on the PE Summit design.

That does not look the same as my FP-30 arch series B. I haven't read the manual for series A, but that is where I would start if I were you. The series b manual is very good. Even for a novice like me :)

So it must be a series A. There are two provisions of top of the unit for for hooking up class B pipe. The manual only talks of gravity vents for these. I guess i dont see why it couldnt use a powered heat transfer kit but i just want to be sure before i fork out the cash for it.

The serial number will confirm if it's an A or B model. As for whether or not a remote duct kit can be used with an A series, it would be best have your dealer contact Pacific Energy and enquire.
Personally I don't see why it wouldn't work.

6380ff028b06bcffc65600709b194ade.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke with a Pacific Energy rep today and he said it's fine to run a powered heat run to the basement. He also said with the series A models you have to run at least one gravity vent. My guess would be concern about heat build-up if the power goes out.

So just to bring this up to date and see if I can get a couple more answers out of you fine gentleman. My install is %99.5 complete. All i have left is to fab my vent covers. Where's everyone putting their thermometers and what is considered a safe operating range? I'll throw up a some pics of where we started and where we're at now.

I can't figure out how to post pictures. It keeps telling me the upload is to big for the server. So what's my fix for this

So just to bring this up to date and see if I can get a couple more answers out of you fine gentleman. My install is %99.5 complete. All i have left is to fab my vent covers. Where's everyone putting their thermometers and what is considered a safe operating range? I'll throw up a some pics of where we started and where we're at now.
I put mine right above/behind the top of the door on the main body of the fireplace. Not on the outer surround or the door itself.

I am a newbie, but I consider up to 650 to be a good cruising temp. I think I have read above 800 and you are at risk of over fire.

I put mine right above/behind the top of the door on the main body of the fireplace. Not on the outer surround or the door itself.

I am a newbie, but I consider up to 650 to be a good cruising temp. I think I have read above 800 and you are at risk of over fire.
The location is good and you are right about the temperature.

I have the thermometer set to the body, center of the door. It started creeping over 600 last night so I got a little curious. I still can't figure out how to resize the pictures. It never gives me an option to use thumbnail, just says the file is too large for server. I've posted pictures from my phone before but now it won't work

I have the thermometer set to the body, center of the door. It started creeping over 600 last night so I got a little curious. I still can't figure out how to resize the pictures. It never gives me an option to use thumbnail, just says the file is too large for server. I've posted pictures from my phone before but now it won't work
Yeah mine was right at 600 with 4 small splits and the air all the way down as well. I had very lazy flames though so I wasn't very concerned.

Did you have your air down all the way? How tall is your chimney? What size splits?

Sorry I cannot offer any help with the pics. Maybe try resizing them before you try attaching them to the thread?

648d2a8a1a8c2a70c38d03c21c93bd04.jpg

So maybe i have it figured out with tapatalk. This is where we started. Put out good heat as long as i was there to keep feeding it. Besides being inefficient, anytime we had a fire the finished basement would be cold due to the furnace not running.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is where we are now. Two rows of stone were left out so I could finish the mantel but that's done now.
e5c8b836c60a97bb2a004cfd9fe3263e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also my phone is an android. I'm not wild about tapatalk. Too much going on with ads and everything else. Is there a dumb down version on how to post pictures without tapatalk. When ever I try to upload it throws an error code and doesn't even give me a chance to resize the picture

20170722_124224.jpg
For some reason I'm not having problems loading pictures now. It was at this point I told the wife don't worry, the mess won't be that bad.

20170722_170827.jpg
By this point she figured out I wasn't totally straightforward with her. I work in construction and even I was surprised how bad the concrete dust floated through the house. The stove room is one big room that is our family, dining, and kitchen. It dusted the whole place top to bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfast250
20170914_215329.jpg
By the time we got to this point the wife was ready for it to be done.