Pacific Energy neo 2.5 thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

saberbass

Feb 20, 2020
Brandon, MB, Canada
Ready to purchase my first wood stove. I have my wood cut and stacked, house insurance ready and my quote from a reputable dealer / installer. The stove will be in the corner of the basement family room which is always cold in the winter. Unfortunately the chimney has to go thought the wall and up the outside . I have narrowed down my choice to the P.E. neo 2.5. I like the modern look, the firebox size, no stoop loading and P.E.'s quality reputation. One drawback is 20 in wide and 13.5 deep firebox. How big a deal is only east west loading going to be?

This is the age-old balance of form over function. It's not the end of the world. The stove will still perform well. The downside is that one can not take advantage of the full firebox capacity due to the risk of logs falling up against the glass. If the goal is to heat the basement area then it should do the job.

Hello, any updates on your NEO? Wondering about burn times and heat output.

To throw in another view, I also have a brand new Neo 2.5. Heat output is great, more than the Super 27 I had previously, but I'm having trouble reaching overnight burns let alone anything approaching 12 hours. I'm burning dry maple and yellow birch 3 or 4 inches thick but the longest I get is about 4 hours burn. I'm not filling the stove to the brim though maybe I should. Any tips?
Also not quite as good as the Super 27 at keeping the glass clean. I generally would not have to clean the glass on the Super 27 more frequently than monthly if then. If it got a bit dirty a hot fire would clean it off. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Neo 2.5. Needs a daily cleaning, especially in the bottom left corner (handle side). Door seems tight. I've used the dollar bill trick. Not sure if that's a problem with this stove or common with all of them.
Aside from those admittedly small problems I like the stove a lot. Easy to light, top down, and as I mentioned above, throws a lot of heat. Wood storage below the firebox is handy too. Beautiful looking and nice to have the additional cooking surface. I've removed the top grid piece and the narrow piece screwed on above the door (evidently just decoration). With that in place I could only put a pot with a high handle on the hot surface. With it off I can place frying pans as well as pots on the stove.
Since I use wood only 12 or 14 inches long the shallow depth doesn't bother me too much. Not sure why they made it so wide though. You have to be careful burning east-west as it's easy for logs to role against the door.

I wrote a review last week and said the same thing about burn times. Maybe oak cut 12in long and loaded north south might get better burn times but I don't have oak or 12in logs. Other than that its an excellent stove.