Pacific Energy Summit - overheating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ralf

Mar 26, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hi,

I recently acquired a PE Summit for the cottage after reading this forum. I love the stove, but unfortunately I tend to start a fire, go do something else for a little while and come back to a stove that is way too hot. It heats fast! On multiple occasions I came back to the stove with a flue temp of 1000F and immediately closed the air supply to low. Last week-end, I reached a new record of 1200F flue temp! Not for a long time, we're talking about less than 30min but I'm wondering if such high temperatures can be harmful to the stove and potentially cause damage or shorten the life of the stove? Immediately after closing the air supply, temp goes back to normal so it does not seems like there is a leak or anything. I usually load the firebox with as much wood it can take for a nice hot and long burn.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The stove should be fine. PE’s are built like tanks. Chalk it up as lesson learned. Set a timer for 15 mins after the wood ignites to remind you to start shutting it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you take flue temp with a surface meter on the connector pipe? How far up from the stove top do you have it?

I have a Alderlea insert ( rebadged PE), and it is amazing how fast the flue temps can rise ( zero to 700f in minutes in my case). My advice is stay with it until you get the flue temps under control. Stoves and pipes are way to expensive. By the way, the lifetime firebox warranty is them paying for you to have it welded in most cases.

How are you measuring your flue temps on a insert? I have a PE Summit as well. Thought it cant be done with a insert.

How are you measuring your flue temps on a insert? I have a PE Summit as well. Thought it cant be done with a insert.
Could be a free-stander, not an insert. With an insert, you could rig up a thermocouple.

Did you take flue temp with a surface meter on the connector pipe? How far up from the stove top do you have it?

It's a flue temp thermometer located on the pipe about 12-16in. from the stove top with a probe that goes thru the pipe wall. Here it is https://www.homehardware.ca/en/stove-pipe-thermometer-with-probe/p/5541069

Here is the poor thing overheating

thermometer2.jpg
fNi2c0

I have the free-standing Summit with legs.

stove2.jpg

jAGzPf

Last edited by a moderator:
but unfortunately I tend to start a fire, go do something else for a little while and come back to a stove that is way too hot.
That's a dangerous practice no matter what brand/model stove you're running. Start up time is when one needs to be paying attention and turning down the air as the fire starts growing. This could be in 10 minutes if the wood is dry.

Reactions: saydinli
I did that once on my old stove and scared myself. Ever since I use a kitchen timer and set it for 10-15 minutes depending on the wood I'm burning. The drier the wood the faster you can close it down and not baby sit.

Reactions: saydinli
I did that once on my old stove and scared myself. Ever since I use a kitchen timer and set it for 10-15 minutes depending on the wood I'm burning. The drier the wood the faster you can close it down and not baby sit.
Yes, we all get distracted at one time or another (or fall asleep). I have done this more than once over the years too. ;em Always set a timer if you are not in the room with the stove. A cellphone clock timer works well for this too.