Pacific Energy Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
It is finally cold enough in Central PA (Blair County) to burn a full load in our Super 27. With a good bed of coals and two smaller pieces burning, I laid a large half on top, right up against the baffle. After it caught, I closed the air off and expect it to burn hot and clean for the evening. My wife and I laid the tile on the wall and on the hearth when we installed the stove last spring. She is a math teacher and laid the whole thing out to scale on graph paper. We borrowed a tile saw from a relative and cut 12 x 12 tiles into all of the sizes needed. The tile was much easier to keep on the wall than the stone we installed in our downstairs but we don't want to do another tile project any time soon. There were a few pieces that needed to be cut more than once or shifted into position but we were really pleased with the final result.

Attachments

• Super27.jpg
    Super27.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 561
  • afterburn.jpg
    afterburn.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 498
Looks nice aroth! Nice work on the tile. What did you use to go through the wall there? Is there a thimble right there? When does it turn into double wall insulated or go into your chimney?

Sweet :)

Easy clean up, too. It'll dry in no time :)

When that baffle dances, it's supah star !

And you should be proud of the tile job . . . it looks very neat and clean . . . almost as if a math teacher figured it all out. ;) :) Seriously . . . very nice looking hearth.

Gasifier said:
Looks nice aroth! Nice work on the tile. What did you use to go through the wall there? Is there a thimble right there? When does it turn into double wall insulated or go into your chimney?

We have single wall pipe to the wall which fits into a double walled stainless steel pass through into the garage. In the garage, there is a T with a cleanout on the bottom. The rest of the flue is stainless through the attic and roof. There is a slight bend in the attic to get around part of the roof. The stainless was very expensive but after reading about problems with older chimneys on this site, I'm glad that we have the stainless. We considered using the existing chimney from our oil furnace (not in operation) but the size and location was not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.