Pacific Energy T5 Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soul on Fire

Oct 10, 2021
CT
Hi all, new member here but long time lurker. The forum helped me ultimately choose the T5 while reaserching other models I was interested in to replace the old Lopi Patriot my house came with when I bought it. I was able to order one from a dealer an hour away from me but then had some concerns about if the stove will actually fit in my current space without any modifications once I got home and slept on it.

My hearth is 90 3/4" wide x 43 1/2" deep. Dealer assured me it would fit due to my hearth meeting the minimum floor protection requirements (34" W x 40 3/4 D). After I just measured this morning I discovered that the stove would probably need to be up against the back wall in order to meet the 16" front clearance since the T5 is 28 1/2" deep minus the ash catch which I have no clue of the dimensions. Would it even be possible or safe to place the stove up against or very close to the back wall? I can only find clearances for combustables but not non combustibles.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

I have attached a picture of my setup.

I believe the back wall to be non combustible and not just brick veneer due to the Lopi's pipe being
10" away from the back wall instead of the 19" required for a single wall connector and it having passed inspection when installed in 1994.

Thanks

C2CAE642-1F2D-41C8-BD6D-EF6496B4657B.jpeg

I believe the back wall to be non combustible and not just brick veneer
Any easy way to verify this? Worst case all you need is 16” ember protection out front so really any non combustible material will work to extend.

PE site was open in another tab so here are the specs.
floor protection requirements (34" W x 40 3/4 D

Where did you get the 40 3/4” from?

F07C4075-143B-4493-B3D1-245EB1D283AA.png

The measurement is to combustibles. How thick is the brick wall? Do you know what is behind the brick wall? If it is cement board on wood studs, then the measurement is to the wood studs. With double-wall stove pipe the rear clearance can be 5". Note that the full depth of the stove is 28.5" but the front hearth requirement is measured from the door glass, not the ashlip. That will gain you about 3". So 5" + 25.5" + 16" = 46.5" is pretty close to good. If you need to make up just a few inches that could be done with a strip of painted metal at the front of the hearth (or copper) or another row of brick on the floor.

Any easy way to verify this? Worst case all you need is 16” ember protection out front so really any non combustible material will work to extend.

PE site was open in another tab so here are the specs.

Where did you get the 40 3/4” from?
Thanks for you reply. I got the 40 3/4" from the dealer. I also don't know how to go about verifying the back wall. All I can see is that I have a full side of the brick exposed on one end of the wall. Any recommendations on what to use as an extender? Sorry trying to get the hang of posting.

The measurement is to combustibles. Do you know what is behind the brick wall? If it is cement board, then wood studs, the measurement is to the wood studs.
Directly behind that wall goes to the garage where there is a built out cinder block wall which encloses the chimney.

If the brick veneer is on cement block then there are no combustibles behind the stove.

The measurement is to combustibles. How thick is the brick wall? Do you know what is behind the brick wall? If it is cement board on wood studs, then the measurement is to the wood studs. With double-wall stove pipe the rear clearance can be 5". Note that the full depth of the stove is 28.5" but the front hearth requirement is measured from the door glass, not the ashlip. That will gain you about 3". So 5" + 25.5" + 16" = 46.5" is pretty close to good. If you need to make up just a few inches that could be done with a strip of painted metal at the front of the hearth (or copper) or another row of brick on the floor.
The brick wall is 3 9/16" This makes me feel a lot better. I was worried I was going to have to redo the hearth or worse pay a 38% restocking fee if I cancelled the order.

If the brick veneer is on cement block then there are no combustibles behind the stove.
That is what I believe to be true. In that case could I put the stove up as close as possible to the wall or keep it 5" off while using double wall pipe?

It sounds like it will be fine. Leave a couple inches behind the stove for air circulation and easier cleaning. Enjoy the new stove!

Thank you very much begreen! You helped ease my stress immensely. I will as soon as I can pick it up and install it. Thanks again

Thanks for you reply. I got the 40 3/4" from the dealer. I also don't know how to go about verifying the back wall. All I can see is that I have a full side of the brick exposed on one end of the wall. Any recommendations on what to use as an extender? Sorry trying to get the hang of posting.
How important are looks? Do you want it to be level with the floor? You could just by any premade hearth pad. You could inlay tile in the wood floor. Yeah probably just the commercial hearth pad. I don’t need any more projects.
Directly behind that wall goes to the garage where there is a built out cinder block wall which encloses the chimney.
That make me feel safe enough to put it further back. Do you have a clean out access back there? I am thinking about how easy it will be to clean. Now is the time to think before the stove gets installed. If the stove is all the way back can you hook a 90 to the T? How much does that stick out from the wall. Maybe 2 -45s ? I don’t know never done it but just thoughts that came across my mind.

Thanks Ebs-P. Right now we have brick inlaid as the pad our old stove sits on. You read my mind about not wants anymore projects right now, but I am open to the idea of something I can lay down in front to make up where I am short. Safety is more important than looks at this point.

As for clean outs I have them in the basement and there wouldnt be any behind the stove if you were thinking about chimney clean outs. Right now the pipe sticks about 7" from the wall definitely will be tighter once the T5 is closer to the wall. But you make a great point, now is definitely the time to think about all these things.

Sweet! All it needs now is fire!

Very nice!

So the stove has been performing great but then when I got home from work today I noticed the left side hanging in the wind. My mother was at my place and feed it a few splits while I was out. She said she doesn't remember that happening and that the stove never over heated. It looks like the bolts weren't all the way tightened and it just worked its way out. Any clue on why it happened and how I should rectify it?

67AF9C2F-ED75-4132-92C4-5D9B68EA2BE9.jpeg 2160ADD1-EB9F-4ECC-A526-4B3B624D5B3F.jpeg 6230D860-339C-46B5-9F2E-DC4C0688E20B.jpeg

That's a drag. Hard to say if this was from the factory or it loosened up due to excess shipping vibration. Loosen the bolts and get them back in the slots, then tighten. Check the other side too.

That's a drag. Hard to say if this was from the factory or it loosened up due to excess shipping vibration. Loosen the bolts and get them back in the slots, then tighten. Check the other side too.
Thanks begreen, got it back on so hopefully it stays. I just wanted to make sure that's all I needed to do.