Pacific Energy T5 Rear Mounted Fan and Wood Consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me but I find when I run my fan on high I seem to burn wood at a faster rate than if the fan was off. One thing I did notice was that my stove top temp readings were much lower with the fan on.

Your fan has nothing to do with wood consumption.But if you are trying to maintain a stove top temp of 500 with the fan going you are going to have your air open farther thus burning more wood.

Resiburner said:
Your fan has nothing to do with wood consumption.But if you are trying to maintain a stove top temp of 500 with the fan going you are going to have your air open farther thus burning more wood.

resiburner is right on the money, turn the fan OFF for a while and notice the increase in stovetop temp, with my t6 there can be ~ 150 degree diff with the fan on high. So you may wish to take that into account when adjusting you air control, i look at the temp, but mainly look at the fire itself when doing the stepdown in air intake.

Don't want to hijack your post but just for comparison. What does your stove top temp run at with the fan off on your T5? I have a magnetic thermo on the lower right corner of the stove so that it is just visible through the trivet. I get the temp up around 500 and start shutting it down and it is all the way closed at arund 550. The stove sits in a sweet spot of 625-650 for the remainder of the burn. I am burning well seasoned lodgepole pine measuring around 12-15% on my moisture meter. I am planning on installing a fan for next winter, worth it???

Thanks,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.