Pacific energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I do not know, if I put a piece of metal in the sun, it reaches very high temperatures, so I think that in reality the internal temperatures are not that high, otherwise the metal would turn red

Reactions: Itslay90
I do not know, if I put a piece of metal in the sun, it reaches very high temperatures, so I think that in reality the internal temperatures are not that high, otherwise the metal would turn red
What are we talking about regarding "the inside" of a wood stove.
A properly combusting (clean) woodfire has the temps that bholler mentions - these are temps of the gases, not the metal.
The fact that the metal is shedding heat on the outside means indeed it'll be cooler than those fire temps.

Figure if your getting secondary burn your temps are above 1,100 deg f

What are we talking about regarding "the inside" of a wood stove.
A properly combusting (clean) woodfire has the temps that bholler mentions - these are temps of the gases, not the metal.
The fact that the metal is shedding heat on the outside means indeed it'll be cooler than those fire temps.
as I see it, flame temperature is one thing and it is certainly very high, and combustion chamber temperature is different, it's an average;
the metal around 1000 f turns red and this doesn't happen, except in exceptional cases. Considering that metal amplifies temperatures, I would say that on average the temperature in the combustion chamber is less than 1000 f. Using the stove only with secondaries. If instead with a generous bed of coals, open ash drawer, the discussion changes a lot.

as I see it, flame temperature is one thing and it is certainly very high, and combustion chamber temperature is different, it's an average;
the metal around 1000 f turns red and this doesn't happen, except in exceptional cases. Considering that metal amplifies temperatures, I would say that on average the temperature in the combustion chamber is less than 1000 f. Using the stove only with secondaries. If instead with a generous bed of coals, open ash drawer, the discussion changes a lot.
The firebox temps are over 1000 if burning properly with secondary combustion.

Metal does not amplify temperature. If.your metal does,.get a patent,.get.to be the richest person in the world, or get the nobel peace prize (the latter two either or).

Kenny said it right.

Metal does not amplify temperature. If.your metal does,.get a patent,.get.to be the richest person in the world, or get the nobel peace prize (the latter two either or).

Kenny said it right.
why metal bodywork of a car to the sun it gets hotter, much warmer than the outside temperature? Shouldn't a metal stove do about the same?

why metal bodywork of a car to the sun it gets hotter, much warmer than the outside temperature? Shouldn't a metal stove do about the same?
That is not amplifying temperatures that is racting to radiant heat from the sun. The sun is putting energy into it and yes the steel is a stove does get much warmer than the outside temps because the fire is putting energy into it

To add to that, the outside steel of a stove is heated by the heat inside, but is cooled by the heat it radiates to your room and by the air flowing past it. It therefore can never reach the temperature of the heat source inside the stove - just as the car sitting in the sunshine never reaches the temperature of the sun.

Nature never concentrates heat on its own. (We can do that, but only after putting energy into the system, see heat pumps.)

Reactions: bholler
1600 to 1800 in the heart of the fire
Does everything in my firebox looks good?, I noticed the two side rails is red.. is that normal?

IMG_3813.jpeg

So , what do you think I should do, don’t burn it too hot? Or just continue what I’m doing.?
I don't have a clue what's going on with your setup at this point honestly. I don't know if you have the pipe temps under control or not. So just make sure neither the pipe temp or stt are to high an it will be fine

Reactions: Itslay90