Pacific Summit Insert Knock out Plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ribs1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
Michigan
www.cponsite.net
OK, I have owned my Summit Since October now. When I first had it installed I elected to use the Outside air kit. After many problems that I won't get into here, I decided room air was a better option for me.
I didn't bother to bust out the knock out plug because my fireplace is uneven and I thought plenty of air would get in underneath and around the surround.
Things were going pretty good for the last few months but I just wasn't getting great burns.
Today I decided to knock out the plug. Let me tell you, we are back to norther lights in there. Now I finally have this thing dialed in and I am starting to get ahead on the learning curve and I am happy.

To summarize, in my opinion, the outside air option for the Summit insert is a gimmick and has many problems that I won't get into on this thread.
Also, make sure that knock out plug is out.

ribs1 said:
OK, I have owned my Summit Since October now. When I first had it installed I elected to use the Outside air kit. After many problems that I won't get into here, I decided room air was a better option for me.
I didn't bother to bust out the knock out plug because my fireplace is uneven and I thought plenty of air would get in underneath and around the surround.
Things were going pretty good for the last few months but I just wasn't getting great burns.
Today I decided to knock out the plug. Let me tell you, we are back to norther lights in there. Now I finally have this thing dialed in and I am starting to get ahead on the learning curve and I am happy.

To summarize, in my opinion, the outside air option for the Summit insert is a gimmick and has many problems that I won't get into on this thread.
Also, make sure that knock out plug is out.

I'm glad it worked out for you. The plug is used for inside air. My fireplace has a cold air vent on the left side of the hearth. My Summit gets its air supply from the vent without me knoicking out the plug. Workds great so far..

Status
Not open for further replies.