Pacific Summit Wood Stove / Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

c8089923

Jan 28, 2022
Patagonia, AZ
I am running a Pacific Summit Classic wood stove to heat my 2500 sq ft home located in Southern Arizona in the Sky Islands (5200'). When the temperature gets below the mid 30's, no matter how much wood I burn, the stove cannot keep up with the cold air being drawn in around my windows and doors. Throughout the night, the temperature inside the house drops... Does anyone know what increase in efficiency I would see if I installed a direct air inlet from the outside (crawlspace) to my stove? Thanks in advance.

Yes that would help a bit, the stove is using air to burn the fire, the make up air has to come in from somewhere, usually through cracks and holes, its not a fix all but it will reduce pressure thats needed by having its own dedicated air source.

I'm on my 4th stove in the last 23 years.this osburn I installed a oak and what a difference. I get no more smoke when I open the door and because I'm in a drafty old cottage it's not drawing air from all the windows and such.imo I should have done this years ago.

Reactions: MR. GLO
I am running a Pacific Summit Classic wood stove to heat my 2500 sq ft home located in Southern Arizona in the Sky Islands (5200'). When the temperature gets below the mid 30's, no matter how much wood I burn, the stove cannot keep up with the cold air being drawn in around my windows and doors. Throughout the night, the temperature inside the house drops... Does anyone know what increase in efficiency I would see if I installed a direct air inlet from the outside (crawlspace) to my stove? Thanks in advance.
What temp do you get your stove top? and what type of wood?

Have you tried a stove fan? Or box fan?

I would say try it...only way your going to know.

I've see articles swinging both ways.

>> What temp do you get your stove top? and what type of wood?
I usually start off with Pinion or Pine to get the fire going. I then switch to dry oak (red or white). Temp runs between 225F and 325F.
>> Have you tried a stove fan? Or box fan?
I have not. 100% off-grid. Trying not to run too many electric vampires. I have seen guys add baffles to stovepipe to help dissipate heat. Might be worth a try.
>> I've see articles swinging both ways.
same here . I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to remove the stovepipe, lift the stove, move the pad, and cut a hole in the floor. The good news is I am on pier & beam, so I only need to get into the subfloor. I am leaning towards doing it. Worst case, I have a hole in the floor with a cover.

I usually start off with Pinion or Pine to get the fire going. I then switch to dry oak (red or white). Temp runs between 225F and 325F.
Somethings not right with these temps. Where are the stove temps being measured? With a good burn, you should be seeing 500-700º stovetop temps when measured directly on the stovetop. Are you turning down the air to 75% or less once the fire is burning well?

I have not. 100% off-grid. Trying not to run too many electric vampires. I have seen guys add baffles to stovepipe to help dissipate heat. Might be worth a try.

same here . I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to remove the stovepipe, lift the stove, move the pad, and cut a hole in the floor. The good news is I am on pier & beam, so I only need to get into the subfloor. I am leaning towards doing it. Worst case, I have a hole in the floor with a cover.
On a pe summit 325 stt is way too low.

I can get that temp on load of kidlin sometimes.

Get a flue probe stove top gauge ir temp gun. Where are you measuring temp from on stove?

Don't need baffles on stove pipe.

On a pe summit 325 stt is way too low.

I can get that temp on load of kidlin sometimes.

Get a flue probe stove top gauge ir temp gun. Where are you measuring temp from on stove?

Don't need baffles on stove pipe.

don't *want* baffles on a stove pipe - recipe for creosote condensation as it's good to not mess with flue temps of a (properly dialed in) modern stove

Sorry guys. My temp gauge was at eye level on stove pipe when I said 325F. I moved it down to the stove top, and temp is now 525F. The baffle idea was to add baffles on the outside of the stove pipe - akin to fins on a heat sink. I probably won't do this. I am leaning to the outside air intake at this point.

On my pe summit the center of stove to left it can read 750 but the other side 650..so also use ir temp gun too...but if you need heat add one more log and see if you can get up to 650 or so...it may take one hour after load and air inlet adjustment to creep.

No, don't add fins to the stove pipe to extract more heat.

Push that stove harder, 525F is a pretty slow burn, 700F is within the safe zone on that stove, aim for that and report back, you'll notice a huge difference in heat output.

Sorry guys. My temp gauge was at eye level on stove pipe when I said 325F. I moved it down to the stove top, and temp is now 525F. The baffle idea was to add baffles on the outside of the stove pipe - akin to fins on a heat sink. I probably won't do this. I am leaning to the outside air intake at this point.
You can push the stove hotter. 525º is my shoulder season cruising temp. When it's cold out I take it up to 650º.