packing my wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justin618

Nov 21, 2022
So i'm new to using my wood stove and have been learning as I go. How do i add a large load of wood, maintain an optimal flue temp and not create tons of smoke/creosote buildup? Currently i burn smaller fires with lots of air flow to achieve a complete burn with very little smoke. With my dampers open my chimney draws very well (23ft chimney at 6") but If i add more wood it requires me to shut my stove dampers so much that it smokes a lot and cuts down the draft too much. I have an older Kodiak stove with no catalytics or secondary burn. Any help would be appreciated.

So i'm new to using my wood stove and have been learning as I go. How do i add a large load of wood, maintain an optimal flue temp and not create tons of smoke/creosote buildup? Currently i burn smaller fires with lots of air flow to achieve a complete burn with very little smoke. With my dampers open my chimney draws very well (23ft chimney at 6") but If i add more wood it requires me to shut my stove dampers so much that it smokes a lot and cuts down the draft too much. I have an older Kodiak stove with no catalytics or secondary burn. Any help would be appreciated.
What moisture content is your wood at?

Typically you load your stove full run it up to the top of the operating range then you can shut back some. But with an old Kodiak you are always going to have some smoke unless you are burning really hot. No way around that really with an old stove like that.

Reactions: justin618
What moisture content is your wood at?

Typically you load your stove full run it up to the top of the operating range then you can shut back some. But with an old Kodiak you are always going to have some smoke unless you are burning really hot. No way around that really with an old stove like that.
the moisture of my wood varies from around 5% to the occasional piece at 20%(i was told to never burn anything over 20%). But on average i would say my stuff around 10-12% moisture.

the moisture of my wood varies from around 5% to the occasional piece at 20%(i was told to never burn anything over 20%). But on average i would say my stuff around 10-12% moisture.
How do you get it that low?

i checked a few pieces and its probably closer to 12-15% on average. The stuff was split over a year ago and has been kept dry. I pull it inside about a week before being burnt.
How are you checking it? That's extremely low in a year. And no matter how long it sits here there is no way I will hit 12 internally without a kiln

I do not own a kiln lol I check my stuff with a wood moisture meter. furthermore those weren't internal measurements. Ill begin checking internally and see if my stuff needs more time or if that is causing my issues

I do not own a kiln lol I check my stuff with a wood moisture meter. furthermore those weren't internal measurements. Ill begin checking internally and see if my stuff needs more time or if that is causing my issues
It may be fine. But surface measurements don't mean much. resplit it and test on a fresh face

Reactions: justin618