Packing the Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
How do you load your stove? Pack it tight? Leave it loose? I've always thought that a mixture of split sizes leaves enough air in between the logs to burn efficiently, but lately, I'm either blowing through splits or I have huge coals left in the morning. I find that if I pack too tightly, not enough air circulates, and the logs simply char and smolder, leaving a lump-like charcoal while putting off negligible heat. If I pack too loose (with too few splits), I burn through the load in 3-4 hrs.

How do you pack your firebox?

It depends.

If I'm around the house on the weekends or during the day. I'll just throw in a few splits on a reload - somewhat loose (maybe 1/2 full) and really let the coals burn down before reloading. For an overnight burn, I'll generally pack it fairly tight, let the splits get chared up and then turn down the air and let it burn until morning.

I pack my fire box to the top every load. If the splits are smaller I make sure I control the air so not to let the stove runaway. When loading for overnight I save my largest splits and pack tight. 4 splits max on the overnights.

I used to do the 3 or 4 splits during the day and pack her full at night for an overnight burn. This year I am packing it fairly full each time and letting it burn longer like I do with an overnight burn. Unless I need it hot quick, then a lay 3 small to medium splits n-s then 3 e-w on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.