Painted chimney problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Painted chim.

Jul 29, 2019
Philadelphia, pa
I painted my chimney @15 years ago with white masonry paint. The paint n some mortar recently started to chip and crack. I recently scraped the damaged areas n replaced the bad mortar.
Because I’m bad with concrete the repair isn’t pretty but the mortar is replaced. And much paint still remains (that couldn’t be scraped off) as well as some small cracks in the mortar (not large refillable ones)

What do I do now to fill in the small cracks? Or should I leave it as is (I can live with the appearance – people don’t look at my chimney)? Thx so much.

I painted my chimney @15 years ago with white masonry paint. The paint n some mortar recently started to chip and crack. I recently scraped the damaged areas n replaced the bad mortar.
Because I’m bad with concrete the repair isn’t pretty but the mortar is replaced. And much paint still remains (that couldn’t be scraped off) as well as some small cracks in the mortar (not large refillable ones)

What do I do now to fill in the small cracks? Or should I leave it as is (I can live with the appearance – people don’t look at my chimney)? Thx so much.
Cut the cracks out with an angle grinder then fill them with mortar not concrete. If you used concrete for the other repairs take that out and replace it with proper mortar either type s or n depending upon how hard your masonry units are. Also look for anywhere water can get in high on the chimney or for failed liners allowing moisture to come from inside.

Great, thanks for the insight. I scraped the concrete out yesterday and put in mortar today. What a difference in how it handled and molded in the displaced/removed mortar.

Now what to do with the mainly painted chimney (with masonry paint from @10 yrs ago) that does have some hairline cracks? Any suggestions?

Should i repaint it with masonry paint (doesn't sound like a good idea from what i'm reading online) or use a sealer or waterproofer? Appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.

Great, thanks for the insight. I scraped the concrete out yesterday and put in mortar today. What a difference in how it handled and molded in the displaced/removed mortar.

Now what to do with the mainly painted chimney (with masonry paint from @10 yrs ago) that does have some hairline cracks? Any suggestions?

Should i repaint it with masonry paint (doesn't sound like a good idea from what i'm reading online) or use a sealer or waterproofer? Appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.
Cut the cracks out with a grinder then repoint. Then repaint.