painting firebrick in open fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesuz

Nov 16, 2008
east Tenn.
I am having a black/soapstone, Hearthstone Tribute installed in my masonry fireplace. The firebrick is unevenly blackened, I have cleaned the soot off as best I can but it is still unevenly stained. In order to appreciate the beauty of the stove, I feel the firebrick needs to be brought back closer to its natural color. So, I’m thinking about painting it with a light colored high temp. paint. However, I'm concerned about the prep and how well the paint will adhere even if all the soot isn’t completely removed. It would be far more noticeable with a light colored paint than black. Has anyone else done this? I have seen photos on this site of painting with black and the results look good.

You can take a wire brush to the brick to clean them. Then you can paint the brick. We painted the brick in my fireplace, but there had never been a fire in it since the house was built in 1952. The other fireplace has seen lots of use. Here is a picture of mine. 2nd picture is a close up of the T, flash makes the color look diferent on the different metal but you can see the fire brick. Jeff

Attachments

• DSCN1371.JPG
    DSCN1371.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 804
  • DSCN1373.JPG
    DSCN1373.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 810
^that looks real nice painted up like that pinewoodburner ...I would have never thought of doing that. An excellent simple and elegant fix.

I have seen a couple of different recommendation to paint them with black high temp stove paint - which looks pretty sharp IMHO. If you are looking to restore the tan color, that might be a little harder because some of the carbon soot may bleed through the lighter color. If you were going to try it, I'd probably try to wire brush and clean off as much soot as possible. Then try a high temp primer (possibly something from the VHT paint line - or look around the brake caliper paint section of your local auto store. I think VHT makes a white high temp primer which would be a good base for any lighter color) Then cover that primer with your lighter color.

Hopefully all this would lock in the remaining soot and the brick would remain lighter.

Stove black paint makes everything look better. Here's my set of brass doors from the 80s before and after.

Attachments

• P1010065Small.jpg
    P1010065Small.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 546
  • P10100531Small.jpg
    P10100531Small.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 533
Status
Not open for further replies.