Pallet wood, worth 30.00

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved into this house a month ago, I installed a Quadra fire Millennium 2100 the second week we lived here. Locally oak is selling for 175.00 a cord, but everyone has it advertised as seasoned but it has been sitting out in the rain. I have gotten a couple loads of slab wood for 30.00 a load and it has around 30% moisture, I just found some 48x40x40 stacks of pallet runners for sale for 30.00. Guy says it is mostly oak and heat treated, is it worth 30.00? I plan to mix it with the slab wood.

Attachments

• pallet wood.jpg
    pallet wood.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 192
Buy a pack, and try em out. Stackem tight, cause they are going to burn like hell.

I just moved into this house a month ago, I installed a Quadra fire Millennium 2100 the second week we lived here. Locally oak is selling for 175.00 a cord, but everyone has it advertised as seasoned but it has been sitting out in the rain. I have gotten a couple loads of slab wood for 30.00 a load and it has around 30% moisture, I just found some 48x40x40 stacks of pallet runners for sale for 30.00. Guy says it is mostly oak and heat treated, is it worth 30.00? I plan to mix it with the slab wood.
if its oak I'd buy them. 3 of those would be almost a cord of wood for $90

Using the pallet wood w/ what you have would be a good way to burn anything you have that's marginal. A stove load of pallet wood is likely to over fire.

You may have to tend it more than you might like but by mixing in it will work good.

I am just wondering. Could it be worth while to take 4 or 5 slabs and fire a nail into them to force them into a big brick of wood similar to a normal spit of firewood. Would they burn like a normal piece of firewood?

I am just wondering. Could it be worth while to take 4 or 5 slabs and fire a nail into them to force them into a big brick of wood similar to a normal spit of firewood. Would they burn like a normal piece of firewood?
That would be pointless. Just mix it in the firebox.

I am just thinking to prevent overfireing,

I think if their packing it up like that they must be selling. Start a fire add some in then the slab on top see what happens.
Watch for overfire as stated - those runners could be bone dry and burn very fast.
Be safe.

Bob

This should be helpful :)

Pallets treated by heat or fumigation are stamped with a certification which reduces the chance the shipment will be delayed in customs. Heat treated pallets must be certified using ISPM 15 heat treating requirements. These requirements, which were developed as a result of the IPPC treaty, provide guidelines on how companies make heat treated pallets. Though this requirement strictly governs only international shipments, many companies have moved to only heat treated pallets for consistency.
To create a heat treated pallet, the wood must be heated to at least 132.8 degrees Fahrenheit or 56 degrees Celsius. Before heating, wood used in pallets must also be debarked so only the core wood is used to make the pallet. The heat process removes some of the moisture from the wood, which also makes it more weather-resistant and less likely to rot. Once the drying process is complete, a seal bearing the ISPM mark along with the originating country is imprinted onto the pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.