Pan of water on top of the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am relatively new to the website and have much to learn. I have several questions and will keep each of them in its own thread.

Is it okay to place a 8 x 11 glass cooking pan full of water on top of my stove? I am after a little humidity, but perhaps that would not be a good idea? Or what have you guys found to add humidity (aside from the obvious/a humidifier)?

Similarly, if I'm going to make my 2 cups of coffee in an hour or so, no harm in putting the 2 cups of water in a glass on top of the stove?

Thank you.

I can't see why it wouldn't be OK. I know many people put a cast iron kettle on top of their stove to get some humidity back into the room. Maybe a glass apparatus wouldn't heat up enough as opposed to a cast iron piece.

The only thing (in terms of materials) I've put on my stovetop is Cast Iron or metal of some sort. I've also used one of those fake "la crucset" enamel-coated cast iron cooking pots and placed that on there to make chili. Just used aluminum pot on there a couple of days ago to cook rice.

I'd be interested from those with more experience!

This place isn't dry, no forced air and about 50% right now according to a cheap old plastic weather station I have (I calibrated the humidity gauge a couple years back.) But I've heard that putting a vessel on the stove to evaporate doesn't really do much..

i use a cast iron pot too....it definitely makes a difference having water on the stove......if you started your 'wood burning stove' life out without water i am certain you wouldnt miss it one ioata, but once you start with water its hard to give up and very noticeable when the pot is dry! :)

Just use a metal cooking pot. Don't let it run dry, and wash it often to get the gunk that your water leaves behind out.

It's not going to do a huge amount, but it will do some. Try air sealing to keep your warm, humid air in the house.

I make tea in stainless steel quart mugs on top of my stove all the time.

All the little spills over the years actually damaged the paint and rusted the top a little, but a quick whack with a wire brush and a shot of Stove Brite has is looking brand new after about 5 minutes' work. (Of course the new paint stinks the first time it gets hot, so touch it up and burn it hot in shoulder season, and you're ready for winter.)

I have tried using stovetop water for humidification, but I usually wind up needing a humidifier too in really cold weather. If you have an outside air kit, you'll need to add less water to the air.

I also use old gallon glass pickle jars for tea... I set them near the stove, so they only get up to 100-150F. It makes nice strong tea. Then I throw the jar out the back door until it's nice and cold, then toss it in the fridge.

Remember that thermal shock breaks glass, so don't heat them up or cool them down too fast.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
Just use a metal cooking pot. Don't let it run dry, and wash it often to get the gunk that your water leaves behind out.

It's not going to do a huge amount, but it will do some. Try air sealing to keep your warm, humid air in the house.

Vinegar will remove a lot of the minerals left behind by evaporating water. Where vinegar fails, CLR usually does the trick.

I wouldn't use a glass pan. Too concerned about it breaking. I had one break foolishly heating some liquid on a burner when I was younger. Especially don't pour cold water into a hot glass pan.

I believe using glass on top of a wood stove is #7 on the cardinal rule list of things not to do with a wood stove. Correct me if I have the wrong position on the list.

I believe using glass on top of a wood stove is #7 on the cardinal rule list of things not to do with a wood stove. Correct me if I have the wrong position on the list.

#1 Sexy times on the woodstove
#2 Using drilled-top woodstove as combination space heater / toilet
#3 Sexy times with the woodstove
#4 Carrying burning woodstove outside to get more wood
#5 Venting woodstove through floor into lower level for better efficiency
#6 Cleaning flue by burning a case of WD-40
#7 Improving heat output by connecting multiple woodstoves in series

Sorry, glass of water didn't make my top 7!

#1 Sexy times on the woodstove
#2 Using drilled-top woodstove as combination space heater / toilet
#3 Sexy times with the woodstove
#4 Carrying burning woodstove outside to get more wood
#5 Venting woodstove through floor into lower level for better efficiency
#6 Cleaning flue by burning a case of WD-40
#7 Improving heat output by connecting multiple woodstoves in series

Sorry, glass of water didn't make my top 7!

Thank you for the correction. My list is apparently way out of date. Wish I had this new list prior to my violation of rules #1 & 3, today I would probably be more manly in deed and not just in name