Panel Radiators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE WOOD BURNER

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2012
Looking for feed back from users regarding panel radiators for low temp water.

Brand
performance
price comparison

This year I put Buderus model 22 panel radiators in my upper story, replacing electric baseboard heat, and ran pex from the basement through the first story walls to each radiator.
Each radiator has an Oventrop TRV to tune the room temperature.

I used a 24 x 59 in each of three bedrooms, and a 12 x 16 in each of two bathrooms, heating a total of about 850 sq ft.
I used the 59" size because it matched the bedroom window size, and 16" because it fit in the bathrooms.

I probably could have gone with the 20" size and still been able to heat this floor.
When I get the wood boiler up and running, with storage, oversizing will help.

We have hit the design temperature of -20F, with significant wind, and were toasty warm with 140 degree water being delivered.
When it is cold outside, say 0F or so, the water temperature is about 120F and you can feel the radiant heat standing within a couple feet of the panel, and feel the convective heat holding your hands above the grill on top. Several feet from the radiator, or laying in bed, the temperature is even and comfortable.

The TRVs are not totally silent in operation, occasionally there is a gurgle or hissing sound as it opens or closes to maintain the room temperature. Not loud at all, but noticable at night in a quiet house.

The price from Pexsupply.com is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the price from the local contractor supplier.

Reactions: flyingcow
We install Pensotti panel radiators, and have been happy with them. I typically install with a TRV on each radiator, and home run each radiator(one per room usually), letting them operate as they see fit, using a mechanical or outdoor reset mixing valve. use a grundfos alpha and you can heat an entire house on 15-45 watts of pumping power.

I usually size the radiators to cover design heat loss at 150 F, and most of the time they'll be fine with 120-130F, and I can push them a little more with higher temps as a safety factor if necessary.

karl

Reactions: flyingcow
I installed a myson with TRV in a bath couple years ago. I was concerned because the temp for the cast iron radiators is less than 100 most of the time. I oversized it and it has really worked out well. I hung it behind the door when it is open and keeps the room very warm. The TRV can be heard passing water but not too loud. Copper to behind the wall the pex back to the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.