Paralysis by analysis...wood insert replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sweetydarling

Mar 1, 2020
NorCal
Hello, I’m looking for guidance on a replacement wood insert. Over three years ago I purchased my first home, which included a Sweet Home wood insert without a liner. I was advised that the insert and chimney were in good working order (though not the case for the insert)... and that I would want to install a liner to meet today’s standards. When I scheduled the liner install, I was told that the woodstove had an 8 inch flue and stoves now typically use 6 inch flue’s, so I would want to replace the stove/insert as well. The fireplace and surround were very dated, massive brick wall extending up to the vaulted ceiling. I figured if I was already in 6k, or more, I might as well redo the surround too. So here I am, 3 + years later and totally paralyzed with all the information and decisions. I’m hoping folks might offer suggestions based on the following:
I live in Eureka, California in a coastal and mild climate in a 1600 sq ft. home. I’m most happy when it’s 80 to 100° outside (never in Eureka)... I like keeping the thermostat between 70 and 73, when I’m not sleeping. I prefer wood heat and I have access to “free” wood if I want to do the work. I definitely want the replacement to be an improvement over existing set up with regard to max flame view and energy efficiency....and heating capacity if that is not included in efficiency calc?

I’m currently considering these inserts:

Xtrordinar Large Flush Arched
Lopi Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre Arch
Quadra Fire Voyageur

All three of these will work in my existing firebox. I’ve made an assumption that even though all of these models are flush, unlike my last insert, I will see improved performance because of improved technologies. I do not understand why I might want a catalytic, hybrid, or none of the above.

So...my 2 most immediate questions are 1) is the fan really essential on all three of these? If I’m trying to enjoy the peace of a fire will they work effectively without the fan? 2) do folks think that these models will perform better than my 1980s Sweet Home, even though they are flush and perhaps maximize aesthetics over function?

Sincere thanks!

Attachments

• 1DBE3554-3F29-4018-AB00-22A46D4D825D.png
    1DBE3554-3F29-4018-AB00-22A46D4D825D.png
    950.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 73C08563-3DE2-47E2-BF1A-4524E0C0796F.jpeg
    73C08563-3DE2-47E2-BF1A-4524E0C0796F.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 258
A new insert will absolutely work better with cleaner burning & efficiency compare to your 1980's model.
Just my preference not everyone here, but I'm not a fan of flush mounted inserts, imo needing a blower to push the air out even on mild days doesn't cut it for me, I like seeing inserts that pop out at least 10" from the fire box, like your old insert in the second pic.
The liner should be easy to install, get a 6" pre-insulated liner, when you remove the old insert you will see what your working with, you may need to cut out the heatilator some more to fit the liner through, keep in mind that current codes require a minimum of 16" of hearth in front of the loading door, so factor that measurement in, or get a removable hearth pad for the floor in front (there lightweight and are only like 18" wide by 36 -48" long)
Ask for a block off plate, most installers say you don't need it, its true but you want it, the block off plate with roxal insulation on top helps the insert stay warm there for you can burn lower and have a longer burn time with the same amount of heat coming into the room.

Since you have access to free wood have you started cutting and splitting yet? If you dont have your wood cut and split a year or two in advance, any modern insert you get is going to aggravate you greatly as you will not get heat from it without dry wood. If you want to not have a blower running, look into putting a stove in instead of an insert.

If you want to not have a blower running, look into putting a stove in instead of an insert.
while true, my parents insert sits inside there fireplace and projects outward a good foot or so, during milder winter they don't need to run there blower and it heats just like a free stander, they do have a blower that they run when temps are in the low 20's and below.

Reactions: Sweetydarling
Hearthstone is coming out with a new catalytic Clydesdale that extends into the room a good bit.

These are flush inserts. There are downsides to being flush. They need the blower to be running in order to convect heat well. And they can have a greater tendency to suck ash into the blower. If you would prefer to run the insert without the fan, then look at non-flush inserts.

Highly recommend the non flush.

If there is a power outage, you've got extension to the front.

If the fan craps out (ask me how I know this ! ), you can run a floor fan across the glass, and move heat.

The new technology applies to non flush, too :)

Welcome to the forums !!!

I have a free standing stove installed on the hearth. It sits about 1/3 inside the fireplace. Tried it with and without a fan, no vaulted ceilings. The fan makes a huge difference in heat distribution in our open floor plan.

You may need a ceiling fan due to vaulted ceiling.

Block off plate.

I get the feeling folks are going to have strong opinions about the fact that I've been using the old stove for 3 winters with no liner or flue (save for a lil 12" pipe I got at hardware store). But the point is, I'm happy with the existing heat and ambiance, minus the occasional smoke...especially when starting. If I can get equal heat and no smoke with a newer flush mount and liner that drafts, that's my preference. I really don't want to use the fan, especially if they can distribute ash.
I'll look into protruding inserts, but the aesthetics of what I've seen so far is a buzz kill.
Thanks everyone...I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

1) is the fan really essential on all three of these? If I’m trying to enjoy the peace of a fire will they work effectively without the fan? 2) do folks think that these models will perform better than my 1980s Sweet Home,
A modern EPA will certainly perform better..more heat from less wood. And your neighbors will see you differently..since their eyes won't be watering from your current smoke-bomber stove. ;lol And they'll be able to go outside without wheezing and hacking, which they'll enjoy. ==c
I'm happy with the existing heat and ambiance, minus the occasional smoke...especially when starting. If I can get equal heat and no smoke with a newer flush mount and liner that drafts, that's my preference. I really don't want to use the fan, especially if they can distribute ash.
I'll look into protruding inserts, but the aesthetics of what I've seen so far is a buzz kill.
If you're saying that you occasionally get smoke in the house with your present setup, the improved draft that a liner provides should take care of that.
It looks like your present insert protrudes. If you're "happy with the existing ambiance," I think there are protruding inserts that look better than what you presently have. If it was me, I'd also look at free-standing side-loading stoves that can rear-vent into the fireplace; Then you can lose the surround, paint the inside of the fireplace black, and rear-vent into a tee with a cap on the bottom, for easy sweeping of the liner. Stoves in a porcelain enamel finish are nice-looking, IMO.
It seem like you're leaning toward an insert, though. If you can actually hear the blowers on inserts you're considering, it might surprise you how quiet some of them are. I just installed a blower on my SIL's free-standing stove, and on low speed it's quieter than her 'fridge.

Last edited: