Parging repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ovationcs257

Oct 26, 2022
Rochester NY
I'm working on installing my wood stove insert into an existing masonry chimney. I cut the damper out and removed the plate yesterday and found a little bit of the parging on the smoke shelf. I have a small spot in the picture attached that is down to bare brick just below the clay tile in the smoke chamber. My understanding is that I don't have to repair this as I'm going to be lining this with an insulated flexible liner.

My question is, should I? Are there any thoughts as to what might have caused this and should I expect that more of the parging will come off? I'm assuming water intrusion and time is the cause (built-in 1976).

I just replaced the cracked crown with a proper concrete cap with overhangs and have repointed the exterior. In a month I will waterproof all of the masonry but this should have been done by the previous owner a while ago.

Also how clean do I need to get the smoke chamber? Is it ok the way it is? It is super awkward to get up in there with a wire brush.

Thanks for any input!

PXL_20230715_174505777.jpg

I don’t see any need to fix parging. As far as how clean? Cleaner is better. It looks pretty clean. From the pick. I’d get a wire brush in a stick and get as much as I can. I removed the entire damper frame/assembly and just stood up in mine.

Good choice on the insulated liner. I beside the safety margin I think it has to help if you can’t get it super clean from an odor standpoint. Get a good seal on the top plate with silicone and do the best you can on an insulated block off plate.

I don’t see any need to fix parging. As far as how clean? Cleaner is better. It looks pretty clean. From the pick. I’d get a wire brush in a stick and get as much as I can. I removed the entire damper frame/assembly and just stood up in mine.

Good choice on the insulated liner. I beside the safety margin I think it has to help if you can’t get it super clean from an odor standpoint. Get a good seal on the top plate with silicone and do the best you can on an insulated block-off plate.
Thank you, I will try to get it a little cleaner. I am planning on instilling an insulated block-off plate that I will hopeful get sealed air tight.

Thank you, I will try to get it a little cleaner. I am planning on instilling an insulated block-off plate that I will hopeful get sealed air tight.
Sounds good. Now is the time. I’d hate to have to pull liner and insert out to clean again.

Be sure to get the smoke shelf clean of all soot and debris too.

Reactions: EbS-P