Parts Diagram? Or how does the air intake work? (224172)

  • Active since 1995, is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bob in SD

New Member
Oct 29, 2023
South Dakota
I just picked up a used stove to replace an existing stove in an outbuilding. The manufacturer is listed as GHP Group and it is a model HWS-224172MH which looks suspiciously like the small Pleasant Hearth stoves you are discussing here. I have not installed the stove yet, but notices that the bottom rod moves very easily and if I look up the fresh air intake (center bottom of the stove) I can see the rod moving in and out but no damper or plate attached to said rod. If I reach up inside I can feel a flat area in front of the intake duct that makes me think a flat plate/damper should be attached to the rod so that pushing the rod in would cover more of the fresh air intake and pulling it out would cover less. If this is the case I'd like to figure out how to fix it before I plumb it up (I can flop it onto it's back now).

I already found some user's manuals and installation guides online. The parts diagrams I'm finding online list only real easy to get to parts (spring handles, glass, gaskets, etc). Is there a source for the actual parts diagram? And/or can somebody tell me what's supposed to be there so I can try to rig something up? I guess if it starts to run away I can put a tin can over the air intake, but a little finer control would be appreciated.

I don't have this stove, but the observations could be correct. You should be able to see the air control rod moving a slider or pivoting a blade that closes off part of the air.
Thanks. I cleaned it out really well, took off the blower ,and layed it down on it's back so I could get a better angle to slide the inspection mirror into. There is a triangular (very small, maybe one inch at the base and two inches long) hole towards the front of the stove inside the fresh air inlet. The rod does slide a cover partially over that when it is pushed in (maybe covers 80% of that hole when "closed") but no plate over the bigger (3" diameter maybe) hole going up into the rest of the stove. From looking online I see that similar stoves have a small triangle label associated with that know, so maybe that's all it's supposed to do. I'm guessing the bigger pipe supplies what you guys call the secondary air source? I need to get schooled on how these more modern stoves work.

I see you're a moderator--I appreciate this resource, and even found some info on the old Kent Sherwood stove that heats the living room. I'll keep digging around here and come back when I have more questions.

The burn cycle will be different in this stove as secondary combustion kicks in. This thread is with a different, larger stove, but the principal and burn cycle are similar.