Passive convection fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carrottop4i

Feb 3, 2021
Canis15084!he
Hello!
I'm looking for a flat flush mount fireplace insert like the morso 5660 that is designed to have convection happen without the need for a blower (for use during power outages). I really like the morso unit but would like to see if there are any other options to compare it to. Does anyone have any suggestions of other units that are designed that way?

Thanks!

Hello!
I'm looking for a flat flush mount fireplace insert like the morso 5660 that is designed to have convection happen without the need for a blower (for use during power outages). I really like the morso unit but would like to see if there are any other options to compare it to. Does anyone have any suggestions of other units that are designed that way?

Thanks!
All inserts will rely pretty heavily on blowers to get heat into the room but flush inserts much more so. But they will all still put off heat without a blower especially if you have an insulated firebox and blockoff plate

Flush inserts, in particular, depend on convection. They have much less exposed radiant surface projecting out onto the hearth. Whether the natural convection of a flush insert is sufficient during a power outage is going to depend on the size of the area heated as much as it will on the insert. If bedroom and hallway doors or stairwells can be closed off so that the insert is heating less area, then it will be more effective.

I'm no expert - BHoller and Begreen have taught me a lot here - but I'm very thankful to have an insert that sticks out 5" from the masonry. I have never used the blower on my insert just because I don't like the electricity-dependence or noise, and have no close outlet.

It in no way heats my entire house, but the first floor we are in will go from 60F to 80F within an hour and a half and stay above 70F for 12+ hours.

In my personal experience, I'd at least get an insert that isn't flush!