PE Alderlea and North Idaho Energy logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 5, 2020
Scappoose, Oregon
Just got my stove, and the whole house actually last month. I've got a little seasoned wood, but would like to extend it. See TLDR at the bottom for my question.

With an old stove I used to use North Idaho Energy logs with great success but the Alderlea manual says don't use compressed. I imagine that's to prevent overfires by packing compressed only as others have mentioned.

I would just use them to extend my seasoned wood till we're through this season, maybe a bit next season till I can build an inventory of well seasoned stuff.

TLDR: any Alderlea/Summit owners burning compressed wood, specifically North Idaho stuff? Good or bad idea?

I've burned them without any drama or excitement. Use good judgment and don't overload. Maybe start out with a fire of 3, loaded E/W, stacked pyramid style with the starter between the lower two. I've burned 4 stacked log cabin style and it was just a good hot fire. They didn't burn as long as they did in my early Castine testing for some reason.

Reactions: BirthofSerpents
I've burned them without any drama or excitement. Use good judgment and don't overload. Maybe start out with a fire of 3, loaded E/W, stacked pyramid style with the starter between the lower two. I've burned 4 stacked log cabin style and it was just a good hot fire. They didn't burn as long as they did in my early Castine testing for some reason.

Probably a good fatwood starter then? My only concern would be getting a quick fire as the can hard to light.

Yes, you need something that burns for several minutes. I used a chunk of SuperCedar. You might also keep an eye out for HomeFire Prest-Logs. They are pretty good too.

I mix 2 or 3 in with my seasoned wood, usually 3 logs and 3 splits. They do burn hot so keep your eye on it.

Here's an old review

and one for the HomeFires

And contrary to popular opinion, nothing blew up testing a load of BioBricks either. They performed as advertised when burned as directed.