PE classic fire pulling to left side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaydground

Dec 28, 2020
Morden, MB
Hi there, it’s my first real of burning wood and currently it looks as though the fire is being pulled to the left side of my stove at the top of it. I have replaced the door gasket this year and seems to be right. Looking for some thoughts

In this case a picture is worth a thousands words.

Likely I'd say it's just the airflow around the wood.
Otherwise it could be the gasket under the baffle leaking, either because the gasket is bad/missing or because the baffle is warped.

Thanks, its going to 0 degrees tomorrow and I’ll try to take the baffle out and see what’s doin. We’ve had the house for 7 years(stove was here already) and it’s the first year really doing wood. I just currently use eco logs and 2x4’s i buck up from work(lumber company)

I just read the back and it says classic, serial # is 160000’s

Attachments

• 95205E20-0BE0-406B-A5F5-ECDB66A794A1.jpeg
    95205E20-0BE0-406B-A5F5-ECDB66A794A1.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 85
Was the replacement gasket an OEM PE gasket or an aftermarket brand?

That's the fancy version with all the special trimmings. Very nice.

When the stove cools down, try the dollar bill test on the door. Another thing to check is that the ash trap door is closed tightly and doesn't have a coal stuck in it. If you find nothing it may just be the wood load, but if the problem persists, I suspect the gasket.

FWIW, I had very poor luck with aftermarket gaskets on our stove. The PE gasket is a different construction, more like a gasket within a gasket.

Baffle is most likely not the issue.