PE Install, Are these clearances for real?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayD

Feeling the Heat
Aug 22, 2007
35 miles north of detroit
Good morning All, well I am getting my new stove ready for Install, Looking over my manual and these Clearances. It looks like I can go 4'' from corners to the wall with the double wall pipe to Combustibles? Is this how you read it? I was going to go 5". My floor is natural hard wood I am going to put down 1/4" cement board with slate tile and have 20" in front of door. I don't see any R value listed so I assume this will be fine. Open to input I'm just trying to keep the stove out of the way a bit for walking room etc. Thanks Jay http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_spectrum_classic.php

The PE Spectrum Classic has very tight clearances due to the second metal jacket on the stove that acts as a heat shield. 4" corner clearance is the minimum if the stove is connected with double wall pipe. It won't hurt to move the stove forward a skosh on the pad so that there are 18" in front of the stove door. That will increase the corner clearances slightly. There's no harm in exceeding the minimums. I'd also use 1/2" cement board under the tile for increase rigidity.

Well my floors are real strong no flex I will screw the cement board down. My steel I beam in basement is right under the stove. I just wanted something to mortar to. This is the way I did my kitchen and have no problem with cracks yet, knock on wood. The hearth will tie into the kitchen floor so I would like to keep the same height, I am only dealing with one corner up against a wall the rest of stove is clear all around. Should I get the fan unit for this stove? Sounds like this stove doesn't radiate the heat like the old cast iron unite that used to site out alot farther in the room. One more thing. Class A pipe is Selkirk I looked at there double wall smoke pipe not to wild about the bands they use around the pipe. Can I use there pipe adapter and use Durapipe double wall with the screws joints? Looks like a cleaner install. Thanks Jay

The blower question will depend on your installation and climate. I don't have one, but our house has good natural circulation. Your setup may vary.

You can't mix pipe brands. However, the class A just goes to the ceiling support box. Double wall connector pipe then goes to the stove. There are no bands on the connector pipe. This is Selkirk's stove connector pipe: http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=271

Ok Great I had seen the finising bands and thought the were used at all the joints, my mistake. I know I don't need a damper But should I put one in just in case?? I need to do a quick shut down?? I will try to post pic's but will need my son to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.