PE Summit 24/7 burn - Is so much coal normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Going on the 10th season for the same firebox. It hasn't been an issue. I have a close friend with a Summit of your vintage. They heat exclusively with wood and have not had this issue either and their chimney is on the short side, but their house is at about 900 ft. altitude.

More than likely the problem is not the stove, but the wood or weak draft. Some wood coals up a lot more than others. And even though the chimney height has been verified, sometimes local topography or chimney location mess with draft and requires additional height. As a test maybe try adding a temporary 3ft extension to the chimney and see if it makes a notable difference. If it does, make the extension proper with class A chimney pipe and bracing.

Can you describe the flue setup in detail from stove top to chimney cap? We may be able to help spot a problem area. Pictures are always welcome.

Last edited:
It's been a little over a week and I have been doing what has been suggested above. I got a full week between emptying the coals and could have gone longer, but I got impatient and emptied out some coals instead of burning them down.

Some adjustments to burning style, but I'm ok with emptying it weekly. I still like to get home from work and fill it right up and get it hot. I don't like to get home and rake the coals forward and burn them off for a hour or two. I prefer to get the house warming up faster. When convenient, I burn the coals down and have found that to work. As long as it's in the back of my mind, I see no problem getting on a weekly empty schedule.

Going on the 10th season for the same firebox. It hasn't been an issue. I have a close friend with a Summit of your vintage. They heat exclusively with wood and have not had this issue either and their chimney is on the short side, but their house is at about 900 ft. altitude.

More than likely the problem is not the stove, but the wood or weak draft. Some wood coals up a lot more than others. And even though the chimney height has been verified, sometimes local topography or chimney location mess with draft and requires additional height. As a test maybe try adding a temporary 3ft extension to the chimney and see if it makes a notable difference. If it does, make the extension proper with class A chimney pipe and bracing.

Can you describe the flue setup in detail from stove top to chimney cap? We may be able to help spot a problem area. Pictures are always welcome.

How would you determine if draft is adequate?

If you open the door and never get smoke back, regardless of the outside temp, would that be an indication of good draft?

I have 14' - 15' at 200' above sea level. Never would have considered draft is poor, but I suppose it's possible. Stove seems to operate good otherwise.

Your just going to have to let them burn down a little longer, cleaning out hot coals, is a waste, I know, I've done it, same stove. Now when it's super cold, I just set the central heat to come on for a cycle or two, barely noticeable on the fuel bill, and it allows the stove to catch up.

Reactions: Woody Stover
every stove Ive had will do it, especially when running hard. Ive heated my house for hours with the big red hot coals. turn the air up and let it burn down.

. I don't like to get home and rake the coals forward and burn them off for a hour or two. I prefer to get the house warming up faster. When convenient,
Try just putting a couple 2-3" splits on the coals and open up the air say to around 50%. That way you can have some heat and the coals will be burning down.
I have 14' - 15' at 200' above sea level. Never would have considered draft is poor, but I suppose it's possible. Stove seems to operate good otherwise
Is that straight up in a 6" flue system? If so it should be ok with this stove, though sometimes local terrain can mess with draft.

Try just putting a couple 2-3" splits on the coals and open up the air say to around 50%. That way you can have some heat and the coals will be burning down.

Is that straight up in a 6" flue system? If so it should be ok with this stove, though sometimes local terrain can mess with draft.

Great, thanks for the info. Yep. straight shot of 6" SS with insulation blanket.