PE Summit Cleaning/Kaowool Baffle Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2006
Cleaned the PE Summit from bottom to top again without even moving the stove (thank goodness). Also bought three feet of kaowool from the local fireplace store to make a new baffle gasket and plenty for furture gaskets. When I removed the old gasket, it was just a few flakes of cotton.

1. Used a baffle gasket for the PE as a outline on the kaowool blanket.
2. Cut out the new gasket using scissors.
3. Removed the foil backing on the new gasket..
4. Installed new gasket..

Findings after gasket install:

1. The stove runs around 8.5 hours on a full load. Last year it was around 7 hours..
2. Runs hotter. She stays steady at 650 - 675 degrees for a few hours..
3. When lighting, the fire bricks seems to ignite quicker..
4. Some sheep are fire proof..

Overall - I was skeptical at first.. but the performance is noticable after installing the new gasket compared to my last cleaning..

Thanks hogwildz for the rope gasket thread.. it was a spark for the kaowool idea...

Attachments

• IMG00205.jpg
    IMG00205.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG00207.jpg
    IMG00207.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 824
  • DSC02155.jpg
    DSC02155.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 840
  • DSC02156.jpg
    DSC02156.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC02169.jpg
    DSC02169.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC02174.jpg
    DSC02174.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 826
That is awesome! I might try the same in the future, but with Roxul. I am not sure how well it will hold up.

Just remember when handling kaowool to cut it outside wearing at least an N95 mask (P100 would be preferable). You don't want the fibres in your or your family's lungs.

madison said:
Where did you score the kaowool? I did the hog - 3/8" rope gasket technique this yr.

Thanks for the tips and pics!

Got the kaowool from a local fireplace store but you can get it on ebay as well. Once the baffle was set into place, the hole for the pin lined up perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.