PE Summit insert blower fan replacment; anybody done? p/n? Quoted $350!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueMule

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
I've got a 4 yr old PE Summit insert whose left side blower fan is starting to do some intermittent low-level squealing. I can't complain being that we've used this insert to heat our 2000 sq/ft home for the last 4 winters all by its lonesome. So one local dealer gave me a price of $350. That amount of money is ridiculous for a fan of it's size.

I've cleaned the fan blades out but that hasn't changed the situation. Has any body out there had similar issues and come up with a fix? Any aftermarket fan manufacturer p/n's?

Try removing the fan and looking up the model/part number. You should be able to find them on line.

Blow it out with compressed air, get around where the shaft goes into the motor, then put a couple drops of lubricant on the shaft at both ends of the motor. Give that a whirl. I used P Blaster with the tube attachment. Otherwise, find the motor make & model and find it online aftermarket.

Probably a different blower on my T6 - it has intermittently done this for a few years - typically it will go away if I turn up the rpm's for a few minutes. Not that it helps you but I remove the blower from the T6 (two screws) and blow out the "squirrel cage" etc with compressed air - OUTDOORS !

Quite honestly and not to question Hog's experience, I would be careful with where and what lubricant you use, I would avoid spray lubricants as it potentially could be a dust magnet that you will tough to clean.

I briefly looked up this motor, if it's the same type it's similar to many blower fans I used to service in lamphouses in movie theaters. In these blowers were 2 oil slots one on each end. Usually not marked as an oiling location. A few drops of non detergent light weight oil all it took. Never would we spray because in that case, if any oil residue got on the bulb itself an explosion would be likely (8 atmospheres of pressure when lit) and it not only would destroy a bunch of stuff but the projectionist would, because of the loud bang, have to run to the bathroom.

The way the new blowers are set up, the cage takes in and expels air above the motor and shaft, with the casing below them closed off. I see no issues with dust collection any more than usual. If still a concern, there are plenty of dry lubricants that can be used.

I am a fan of 3n1 oil for electric motors. PB Blaster is more of a penetrate than a lubricant. I put about 8-10 drops in each oil hole to soak into the felt if this is a sleeve bearing motor. If there is no hole, I drill them into the felt carefully.