PE Summit Replacment fan and speed control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have a PE Summit insert circa 2007. It has the one blower mounted on the right side of the stove. It has a rheostat type speed control.

The blower finally died. I ordered an exact replacement from fasco model number for model number except it is now a three speed blower and they do not recommend using the speed control.

I hooked it up and tried all three speeds. High is way too high. Medium is way too high. Low is about as high as I ever ran my old fan when I really turned it up. I usually ran it lower.

I would like to/am going to hook up the old speed control to the new blower. Has anybody done this? Also for all of you electricians out there, which winding should I put the speed control on? The high winding and really dial it back or the low winding and just dial it back a bit?

I have a PE Summit insert circa 2007. It has the one blower mounted on the right side of the stove. It has a rheostat type speed control.

The blower finally died. I ordered an exact replacement from fasco model number for model number except it is now a three speed blower and they do not recommend using the speed control.

I hooked it up and tried all three speeds. High is way too high. Medium is way too high. Low is about as high as I ever ran my old fan when I really turned it up. I usually ran it lower.

I would like to/am going to hook up the old speed control to the new blower. Has anybody done this? Also for all of you electricians out there, which winding should I put the speed control on? The high winding and really dial it back or the low winding and just dial it back a bit?
The new motor assy will come with extra wires.
The only wires you will use from the new motor are the white & red wires. Cap the black & blue wires off separately with a wire nut on each one.

There are more wires with the new motor assy.

The blue and black wires from the new motor are not used. Cap off each with a wire nut.
You only need the red wire & the white wire from the new motor assy.
You will need a new female connector and combine the existing white wire from the rheostat, with the new red wire from the new motor, then reinstall the connector to it's original terminal on the fan speed controller.

Then splice the white power cord wire to the new white wire from the new motor assy, and secure with a wire nut.
Those are the only two wires, and connections you need to deal with.
See attached photos for reference.
If you have problems, PM me.

Attachments

• SANY0007.JPG
    SANY0007.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 91
  • SANY0006.JPG
    SANY0006.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 90
  • SAM_6509.JPG
    SAM_6509.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 100
  • SAM_6506.JPG
    SAM_6506.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 108
  • SAM_6507.JPG
    SAM_6507.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
  • SAM_6508.JPG
    SAM_6508.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I got the whole blower assy new, and to make it easier, I left the old housing on, and just replaced the motor & squirrel cage fan assy. Here are some photos of that. Juse remove the 3 nuts on the motor arms that mount to the housing, and swap the motor/fan assy over. Be careful not to lose the rubber grommets. Don't over tighten the nuts either(don't over squish the grommets).

Attachments

• SANY0003.JPG
    SANY0003.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 91
  • SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 110
  • SANY0004.JPG
    SANY0004.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Reactions: Squisher