PE summit insert le - chimney cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reddog12

Nov 28, 2021
LaPorte, indiana
I purchased an insulated chimney liner and kit that included a cap , flat top plate and stove connector. my question is can I use the flat top plate with my existing chimney cap or do I have to use the flat top plate with the new chimney cap. I like the old cap because its heavy duty compared to the new one. thank you IMG_6143.JPGIMG_6140.JPGIMG_6139.JPGIMG_6126.JPG

I like the old cap. Id keep it. I didn’t use the cap that came with my kit as I had a multi flue cap.

Honestly it doesn't look like there is enough room between the top of the top plate and the old cap. Can the top collar be cut down any?

I will say both my flue terminations are too close to the cap and work fine. One is 15’ one is 24’. YMMV, It’s not a big job to swap either next time you clean.

You do know to stuff a rag in the secondary manifold when sweeping?

I will say both my flue terminations are too close to the cap and work fine. One is 15’ one is 24’. YMMV, It’s not a big job to swap either next time you clean.

You do know to stuff a rag in the secondary manifold when sweeping?
thank you EbS-P !!! I did not know about covering the secondary when I sweep the chimney. I took out the baffle today and sawIMG_6150.JPGIMG_6156.JPGIMG_6155.JPG
what you are talking about. I have learned a lot here.
getting ready to send the liner down the chimney so I made a PE summit insert out of scrap wood [much lighter] with the exact height and depth. this will help setting the block off plate and chimney liner.
thank you, all who have served and are serving the USA. God bless America

Reactions: EbS-P