PE Summit install complete...Thanks to this forum!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roncb1

Sep 8, 2014
SW Colorado
Hey guys,
Just wanted to say a big thanks to this forum and all of the advice/info/expertise you provide. I started this venture about a year ago as the propane prices became ridiculous. I figured one of the only hedges I could get was to burn wood which is plentiful and reasonably priced. After reading everything I could on this forum, I settled on a PE Summit as our log home is a 2700 sq ft ranch w cathedral ceilings. All I can say is that is does a wonderful job heating this house. The furnace hasn't been on this season and the house has been very comfortable. We do use several ceiling fans constantly and I use the furnace in fan mode periodically to help circulate the heat. Our heating bill is vastly reduced. I thought I would have to use our existing Whitfield pellet stove to supplement (pellets went up 30% here), but haven't needed it at all. That might change if we get a real cold spell, but it's all good!
Again, a big THANKS!

Deck back.jpg Tile done.jpg PE Summit Done.jpg

Last edited:
Good to hear it's working well for you. Nice setting for the stove.

Is the connector single or double-wall pipe? If single wall you will want to watch creosote buildup. Long runs of single-wall cool down the flue gases a lot.

Thanks!
begreen, yes it is single wall. After the first cord there was a lot of creosote. We commonly burn pine too. That being said, a lot of it was due to me not running the fire hot enough and letting the wood smoulder at start up. I've corrected those issues and things are looking much better. I've added aspen to my wood mix, which burns very hot, so much so that my door glass stays real clean. I will keep a close eye on the buildup as I've learned here!
Draughtdude thanks for the complement. Nope not slate tile. It's a 1' x2' porcelin tile. It's meant to look like polished concrete. It's recified tile so we installed it without grout which is a look I've come to like. It's also about $1.99/sq ft. Gotta love inexpensive tile to class the install up.

Double-wall connector pipe will cut down that buildup. Single-wall is not recommended for runs over 6-8ft. for this reason.

First critiques, all in fun.
The upper pipe is out of plumb?
Shame to cover that gorgeous wood patterned wall!
Looks like a stove in WHoville with the pipe, but you gotta put it where ya gotta put it.

Now the applause:
Love the house!
Love the Stove!
The stone is simply beautiful!
Love the woodwork!
Congrats, you made a great choice! Enjoy!

Hogwildz, Thanks! In response to your critiques...The pipe are plumb! Picture is wonky. Couldn't get away with out of plumb around my wife, she has a built in laser level! Covering up a little wood was no issue, we have nothing but wood...no drywall, no paint. It does feel a little funny covering real wood, but we like the accent. Whoville, my beverage almost shot out my nose! Putting the jog in the pipe caused a lot of stress during the planning phase, but you hit the nail on the head.
Warm house to you!

Reactions: Hogwildz
Status
Not open for further replies.