PE T4 is it the right stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm looking for a little stove for the family cabin. The cabin is approx 35 feet long and 16 feet wide. As of now, no insulation. Floor plan is 3 sections or rooms. Back section is 5 x 16 wide and has the bathroom and a small area for shoes, tools etc. Heating this is not important. Middle section/room is 10x16 and is the sleeping area. Somewhat important to heat in summer and shoulder seasons, but the last few times I went up in the winter I had it closed off. The front area is 20 feet long and 16 wide. This is the area that needs to be heated. There is a fairly comfy futon that I usually pull out when I go up to do some ice fishing or skiing. It's big enough for me and the dog. The wife isn't into colder weather activities. It's just one big room.

So on to the heating needs of the cabin. There used to be a potbelly stove installed in it. It needed to be replaced and my father had me pull it, and the singlewall chimney out. He had me install a 22K btu ventfree in it's place. I want it out. The cabin is very exposed as it is on a peninsula with a mile of lake behind and 4 miles of lake in front of it. Experience with the VF tells me that with a good wind going, 22K btu is not enough to raise the temp very fast. Maybe 2 degrees an hour... Maybe. I've brought up a kero heater that also threw about 22K btu and together they raise the temp fairly quickly, even with the wind. When the kero is turned off, the temp rapidly falls. (It did rise back up when the wind quit over night. I woke up to temps in the high 60s.) So I believe my little front room needs around 40K for heatup on a 10 degree day with wind. To hold temp on the same day I think I need around 30K btu. A fairly heavy load for a 300 sq ft room! At night, without the wind, around 15K would probably fill the need. This is obviously a leaky structure.

On to the stove needs:

The room is small to CTC is important. When I pulled out the potbelly, which had 2 feet in all directions around it, I gained so much room. I have to give the VF a high-five on giving floor space.

I like non cat, if only because I might have to use wood that isn't the most ideal. If for some reason I can't bring wood from my stacks at home I don't know what I'll be burning.

I like the cook top option. There is a propane stove that I use to heat and cook on, but if I don't have to fire it up I'm happy. Also, I hate having to rely on something in a tank that can empty without much notice. Dragging a hundred pound tank through snow in order to refill it could ruin the fishing. I'd probably pack it up if my tanks were empty.

Cast iron or steel, not overly important as the stoves I've purchased as an adult have been steel. I think I'd like CI in the cabin though. The soft heat may be nice in such a small room too.

Firebox size, important because of the need for a good charge to heat the place up, but super long burn times are not very important. I don't live in the cabin in the winter so relighting fires here and there wouldn't be a turn off and I'd hope the CI would even out the heat delivery a bit. Shoulder seasons are shoulder seasons and I wouldn't need long burn times then either.

Window, not really important, but I've noticed the wife feels warmer when she sees a fire. Who knows, maybe I'd be able to get her up in the winter. Maybe she'd actually use the snowshoes I bought her a few years ago.

What do y'all say? I think the PE T4 is a good looking stove. It states 56K btu out of a 1.5 cu ft firebox. I should be able to get 40K btu out of it and then choke it down. It has both CI and Steel construction. Nice window and I like the wings for pot warming racks. How durable is the PE firebox. It says it has a steel baffle. Is it a better design than the ceramic baffle in the Englander stoves? It's the one thing I don't like about my 30.

Any suggestions? Other stoves I've looked at are the 602. It had many of the same features, but I wasn't sure how well I'd like it sticking out into the room and the CTC were not as close. I've looked at the Quad step tops. Interesting, but quite pricey.

Matt

It sounds like there would be a benefit for quick heat up from outside ambient temps in the cabin. If so, there is no need for the cast iron jacket on the T4. It will be slower to warm up. I would go for the Vista or other simple steel stove instead.

BeGreen said:
It sounds like there would be a benefit for quick heat up from outside ambient temps in the cabin. If so, there is no need for the cast iron jacket on the T4. It will be slower to warm up. I would go for the Vista or other simple steel stove instead.

I would have to agree. The cast iron jacket does take a while to get up to temp. Once it is good and hot the stove would probably be fine. I would be worried that you might be frustrated with the amount of time to get the stove up to temp. A traditional steel stove might be more appropriate. Many on here are big fans of the englander stoves. They heat very well and are a fraction of the cost of PE stuff. But PE makes stellar stuff, if you are sure you want one look at the vista. It uses the same firebox as the T4 gives you a cooktop and should heat up faster than the T4.

In terms of baffles PE's is very sturdy and performs well. That being said many others here have no probs with their composite baffles; just have to be careful.

Even though the stoves you are considering aren't cat stoves they still require well seasoned wood to run correctly. You wil be frustrated and dissapointed if your wood isn't good and dry.

I see you have 2 stoves yourself, what about using the Century for the cabin and buying a new T series stove for your house?

I wish I could move the Century. It's sitting in a house that's for sale. It's been a good little stove. But its a bit small, rated at 25K btu max. I want to cruise at that output. I looked at the Englander 13, but it requires a foot behind it. This is a little more than I want to loose in such a small area, but I may end up loosing it just due to the difference in pricing. It's hard to beat the price.

Matt

Look at the small Napoleon as well as the Vista for close clearances.

You're right, It is hard to beat the clearances of the PE stoves.

There is one low ceiling down the entire cabin. IIRC it's 7 feet high.

I've started keeping the electricity on, but it can't be counted on due to all the trees around the lines.

Matt

Matt

Too bad the Century won't work...you're pretty much the world's expert on it. I've enjoyed and benefitted from your posts here about it. My little Century is burning great, doing a fine job in the shop...due in part to the tips you've passed along from your experience. I thank you for that, Matt, and I wish you good luck in finding the right stove for your new application. Rick

Buy the 13 and with the price difference buy ten spare baffle boards for it and use them for a heat shield behind the stove.

EatenByLimestone said:
There is one low ceiling down the entire cabin. IIRC it's 7 feet high.

I've started keeping the electricity on, but it can't be counted on due to all the trees around the lines.

Matt

Matt

matt,

i was in a single floor/story cabin outside of west yellowstone, with some friends that are yr round residents... heated by wood. the floor plan was divided like a normal ranch, three bed rooms, single bath, kitchen, living room dining room. Really a nice "cabin", but the interesting aspect is that there were no ceilings in any of the rooms. They heated the entire place 99% with wood, electric baseboard backup. The woodstove was in the center of the place, and one large ceiling fan almost directly above it.

I was there in november fishing, and the night i stayed there it was below zero and the windy. Cabin was really comfortable. Downside, you hear everyone/thing, but the heat distribution was great.

Forgot what my point was ... oh well, guess I'll have another gin and tonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.