Pellet Advice - Michigan Thumb Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickH

Sep 19, 2020
Imlay City, Michigan
I’m new to burning pellets. I’m trying to stock up with 2 - 3 tons for this winter, but completely confused by reviews I’m finding online as to what brands are good or not. I was leaning towards getting the Michigan Wood Fuels pellets through TSC, but I see some terrible reviews for them.
Anybody in the thumb area of Michigan have advice as to where I should get my pellets? Any good deals you’ve found in the area? Brands to avoid?
Any help is much appreciated- my head is kind of spinning at this point!

A Lot Depends on your Stove. How it's installed. I have Harmon XXV and I have tired 4 different brands (all softwood). No Difference I can tell. Well one difference. North Idaho Energy Logs Pellets are double wrapped. Less bad bags I have found. I went with them again. Got 4 Tons Sitting. Soon as air is good will bring up 1/4 ton on porch and cover with tarp (Smoke Air Pollution). Only time my stove burned bad was when I left in metal fabric I use in pipe going thru wall to keep out stupid birds. Took me few days to figure out why it was poor burning. Yank that out and good to go. I have 8" Chimney left over from Wood Stove.