Pellet brand differences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mscj

Feb 1, 2009
Plainview, TX
Only had my stove about a week-bought a couple of bags of pellets the local Tractor Supply had in stock when we bought the stove (Piney Woods). Burned through about a bag of those, not impressed at all with the stove's heat. Made a short road trip and found some Rocky Mountain pellets, emptied the hopper and poured in the Rockies.....wow, what a difference! Gained 30 degrees F at the room fan outlet with the exact same settings-I've read on here about the brands being different, but I didn't think it'd be this drastic. Love this place--lots of good info.

Yep, hard to believe, but there IS a difference in pellets.

The Rockies are considered to be one of the better pellets available. I have about 68 bags myself, and am waiting to be rid of the "average" Premiers I'm burning right now (their keeping the house at 70, but just barely), and then I'm going to be doing some testing on the Rockies and CleanFires I have.

I just found some Rocky Mountain Pellets at Sutherlands in Ft. Smith Ar. at for $3.90 a bag, less per ton. I picked up 5 bags for testing. Should I buy more?

Leadfoot said:
I just found some Rocky Mountain Pellets at Sutherlands in Ft. Smith Ar. at for $3.90 a bag, less per ton. I picked up 5 bags for testing. Should I buy more?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockies for under $195/ton is a great price for great pellets.

Thanks macman, They seem to be burning very clean. I'll hook up my trailer and pick up a ton.

Leadfoot said:
Thanks macman, They seem to be burning very clean. I'll hook up my trailer and pick up a ton.

At that price, I'd be buying a whole lot more than 1 ton if possible. I don't think you'll be seeing pellets like that any cheaper for a LONG time, if ever.

The normal price they have posted is $4.90 st thats a good savings. I may get more.

Yes there is a difference in pellets. How hot they burn, how much ash is produced, and how many fines in the bag. I've burned Rocky Mountain pellets and they are pretty good pellets.

Still good news :)
I'm new to pellet stoves but these are burning cleaner the the others I have. I'll post a picture of the pot when this bag is finished if I can remember.
Edit: The one thing I don't like is, I can't buy them online so I'll have to pay the sales tax.

macman said:

The Rockies are considered to be one of the better pellets available. I have about 68 bags myself, and am waiting to be rid of the "average" Premiers I'm burning right now (their keeping the house at 70, but just barely), and then I'm going to be doing some testing on the Rockies and CleanFires I have.

Macman burned through 1/2 ton of the cleanfires so far. I think they were rated at 7,800 BTUs. Also just stated on some Lignetics I bought last week 255 a ton a local TSC. Great buy !. The cleanfires are very clean in the bag about the cleanest and dust free I have used.Output temp from blower with magnetic temp is 230-240. Lignetics 250-265. Stove chow 210-220. I like the quality of the cleanfires and consistancy of them.Just a fine product. Not blazing heat but I feel pretty darn good on some temps in the teens we have been having.I think I read where pellet sales has another pellet rated 8500 BTUs. I am sure they are more money. I am going out today and picking up some of those winter heat or warmth whatever they are called from HD
As discussed on another thread now I am curious. I am still amazes at how small they are. I burned Hammers ;ast year and they were 3 -4 times the size of these. Well we will see later if size matter lol.

investor7952 said:
macman said:

Macman burned through 1/2 ton of the cleanfires so far. I think they were rated at 7,800 BTUs. Also just stated on some Lignetics I bought last week 255 a ton a local TSC. Great buy !. The cleanfires are very clean in the bag about the cleanest and dust free I have used.Output temp from blower with magnetic temp is 230-240. Lignetics 250-265. Stove chow 210-220. I like the quality of the cleanfires and consistancy of them.Just a fine product. Not blazing heat but I feel pretty darn good on some temps in the teens we have been having.I think I read where pellet sales has another pellet rated 8500 BTUs. I am sure they are more money. I am going out today and picking up some of those winter heat or warmth whatever they are called from HD
As discussed on another thread now I am curious. I am still amazes at how small they are. I burned Hammers ;ast year and they were 3 -4 times the size of these. Well we will see later if size matter lol.

investor7952

Great info. Love the temp readings. Thanks for sharing!

jay

This is my burn pot after a bag of the rockies, I did add two 1 gallon buckets of the Heat Resource befor I went to bed.
I had cleaned out some small clinkers this morning but nothing like it was. I think I've changed my mind about this little stove, I think I'll use
it the rest of the season. The more I use it the better I like it. I'll take down the temporary setup and do a permenant install in front of the fire place. :)
Maybe next year we'll trade it out but maybe not, we'll see. I do know one thing, it sure was nice and warm in here this morning.

ash.jpg

investor7952 said:
Output temp from blower with magnetic temp is 230-240. Lignetics 250-265. Stove chow 210-220.

Investor--would you mind posting up a pic of your blower temp thermometer mounting? Just curious exactly where you're getting your temps from on the stove....mine gets nowhere near that hot on it's highest setting. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.