Pellet burner here with a couple of Questions about Morso 1125 that I just got.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
CT
Like the title states, I just got a very lightly used and in good condition Morso 1125 from a neighbor. I'm going to burn both wood and pellets this coming year because I also landed a stainless double insulated pipe.

I searched and found the manual posted here, but it wasn't much help.

My question is that I have a plate and I'm not quite sure where it goes. I did manage to fit it into the top of the stove and would love if someone could confirm for me that it is the correct place for it.

Also, is it preferable to vent out the back or the top? I can do either, but would like to do whatever helps the stove burn better.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Here are some pictures, they didn't upload in the order, but you can see the plate I referenced above outside the stove, and in the other picture inside the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 279
Welcome. Lucky you, that looks in nice shape. The plate is the baffle. It looks correctly placed. The best chimney is an interior one, located as close to the center of the house as is reasonable. How tall will the flue system be from stove to the chimney cap?

Thanks for taking the time to reply and complement my 'new' stove :) , as well as confirming that 'baffle' is correctly placed. I took a guess since the person I got the stove from didn't use it, and it sat in the garage for a few decades.

I am working out the venting location and design now. It is going to be a basement install, so it has to go through the wall to the outside. I have the stainless double insulated pipe with the tee, tee support, 1 outside wall strap etc.

All total I have (7) seven 2 1/2 foot pieces and the 1 ft tee. One piece of the double insulated is going to go through the wall, so I'll have 15 foot rise outside to the cap, not including the 1 foot tee.

If going out the wall it would be better to top vent the stove to reduce the number of 90º turns in the smoke path by one.

Reactions: ct_administrator
Welcome. Lucky you, that looks in nice shape. The plate is the baffle. It looks correctly placed. The best chimney is an interior one, located as close to the center of the house as is reasonable. How tall will the flue system be from stove to the chimney cap?

Would it be okay if I posted my install plans to get some feedback? Should I start a new thread, or post it in here?

I'm going to be doing a self install, by manufacturers recommendations of course, but this is more complicated than the Pellet install.

No problem. Posting here is fine. Pictures help us see what you are seeing.

Okay, here it goes.

Here is my outline I drew up. I'm no artist, obviously, and didn't plan on posting this but it might help on seeing what I'm dealing with.

lskdfhj.jpg

Here are my accessories and pipe
Accessories.jpg 102_1690.JPG

Here is my rough opening for the thimble, a double insulated pipe will go through to the outside. The Pipe will extend 3-4 inches on the inside of the room. The Black pipe is 18'' away from combustibles. The opening is 14'' x 14'' and I don't plan to insulate around the inside. As far as my research tells me I'm good with my clearance to combustibles with the Thimble and Double Insulated Pipe, am I correct?

Thimble opening.jpg 102_1687.JPG

The double insulated pipe I'm using is Metalbestos Model SS All Fuel Chimney. I've researched and found that this product is still acceptable and compliant if the 'Connector Straps/Bands' are used. As I understand the Model SS failed the 'UL HT103' rating at the chimney twist-lock connection at the 2100 degree burn, and the Connecting Bands brought it up to code and are required when using this product.
102_1684.JPG 102_1690.JPG

Here is where I have a question. I'm going to have a 10' foot run of pipe to where I plan on using the wall strap, and I plan on attaching it to a 2x4 attached underneath my soffit joists, or attach it right to my Fascia. I'm still not sure about this one because I have to run it in front of my gutter, because I don't have room to go through my soffit.

I also read that you should brace with wall straps about every 8 feet, am I alright going to 10' feet, then using the wall strap? The wall support I'm using is able to support 30' feet of pipe.

I'm also OK by the 10/2 rule if anyone was wondering. IE: Highest point 10 feet away and 2 feet above that.

Anything I missed here in my plans? Suggestions?

The stove I'm installing is in the first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.