pellet & coal ash compost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlie1784

Jan 30, 2008
Weymouth,Ma
Read several forum topics on spreading ash either on your lawn directly or putting in with compost, but nobody specified which type of ash they were spreading. I burn pellets & coal and was wondering if they would be ok to put in compost or spread directly on lawn.[thinly]? Thanks,Don

Pure wood ash can be considered a slightly basic fertilizer and is good for the lawn and many plants in moderation. The pellet ash should be ok to put on the lawn, but this is not recommended for coal ash which can contain heavy metals and in some areas is somewhat radioactive. It is considered toxic to many plants.

If putting wood ash in the compost, don't add it until the composting is done. The change in PH can stop the composting and turn it cold. I made that mistake once and it took 2 years for my compost pile to recover. Now I only blend it in when I'm ready to spread the compost.

Status
Not open for further replies.