Pellet feed auger speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Budlightguy

Feb 10, 2019
Clinton Ma
I replaced the bottom auger motor last season and from thatnpointbon ive been having issues. It seems like the fire is small and doesn't produce heat like it use to. I looked at the top auger motor and counted the rotation speed and time in between. At the lowest setting 1 it rotates for 3 seconds and sits idle for 10 seconds then another 3 sec spin of the auger. I put the feed setting to 5 and akso at the highest setting of 9 and no changes in tbe speed of the feed auger motor. The fire is small and alot of sparks and ash blowing around in the stove. I have an englander 25pdvc/55 shp10 pelket stove. Any help or ideas for what is happening ???

Have you ever reset the control back to OEM settings? What mode is it set at ( 25pdvc should be D) is the auger truly doing 1 rpm?

The stove is set at the "D" setting. Im not sure if it is turning i didn't time that but i will today. But when i increase the heat range setting to the max "9" the motor is turning the auger the same speed as the "1" setting.

This morning I timed the lower auger that feeds the burn pot it does in fact rotate 1 rpm.my issue is the pellets are not traveling to the burn pot fast enough making for a smoldering fire...??? I dont understand why

20190907_094112.jpg

Attachments

• 20190907_094118.jpg
    20190907_094118.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 94
How long are the pellets your using? The pdv and pdvc use a 16 second cycle basically the heat range adjustment changes the amount of "on time" per cycle, each cycle represents one "run" + one "stop" in other words if the "on" is 2 seconds, te "off" will be 14 seconds. if the "on"is 4 seconds the "off " will be 12 seconds and so forth it always adds up to 16 seconds. the "feed amounts" are based on approximations , as you know all pellets are not the same uniform size so the "lbs per hour" are not a "set in stone" rate. the "on" time on heat range 9 in "D" mode is 4.77 seconds. the On time in C mode heat range 9 is 5.13 seconds. the other heat ranges have scaled differences between c and d

The heat setting is in D mode. Ive been using the same pellets for the past 5 years they are about 1/2 inch give or take. Yesterday i took the restriction plate out of the hopper and adjusted the low fuel feed rate to 8 it burned great. I let it burn for 1 1/2 hours that way. I then knocked it back to 6 and it burned great. I then put the the heat range on low(1) for half hour the to (5) for half hour then (9) for half hour and it burned great! Im wondering if a sensor was stuck or a hose clogged?? Im going to run another test tonight to see if i get similar results...im more confused now than before...any thoughts?