Pellet Flame is a strange color

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tundraSQ said:
GVA said:
tundraSQ said:
TedNH said:
I got my stove figured out.
SCRAPE YOUR BURN POT.
And I mean GOOD.
I had big chunks of carbon stuck to the SIDES of the pot. Now the fire looks like a blow torch and its throwing some mean heat.

I just did this..I had been cleaning the front of the burnpot....tonight I let the fire die down and REALLY got deep down and cleaned it all out...I had no idea the back and the sides would need to be cleaned. This is a learning process...but I ran the stove for 2 days without touching a single setting...:)

thanks
If you do a search here I'm sure you'll see tips on what to use to scrape the burn pot with, as that scraper that comes with the stove is ok for removing ash but not clinkers(carbon buildup). Use the scraper that came with the stove for walls and heat exchangers but the burnpot needs something a bit more rugged.

Just a tip Every day when I get home from work I give a quick but strong scrape of the back of the burnpot, Just to keep the carbon from really building up (it only takes a minute and the stove is still running when I do this)

On the advance the major buildup is always on the left hand side of the burnpot and the glass always fogs on that side first.
There seems to be a bunch of 25 owners here.... What side is worse for clinkers and which is worse for the glass fogging up?

Left side for me had the most build up...and I was thinking as I was scraping it..."there MUST" be a better tool for this"...and the right side and top of my glass fogs worst.
Check this out for suggestions :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3523/

GVA said:
tundraSQ said:
GVA said:
tundraSQ said:
TedNH said:
I got my stove figured out.
SCRAPE YOUR BURN POT.
And I mean GOOD.
I had big chunks of carbon stuck to the SIDES of the pot. Now the fire looks like a blow torch and its throwing some mean heat.

I just did this..I had been cleaning the front of the burnpot....tonight I let the fire die down and REALLY got deep down and cleaned it all out...I had no idea the back and the sides would need to be cleaned. This is a learning process...but I ran the stove for 2 days without touching a single setting...:)

thanks
If you do a search here I'm sure you'll see tips on what to use to scrape the burn pot with, as that scraper that comes with the stove is ok for removing ash but not clinkers(carbon buildup). Use the scraper that came with the stove for walls and heat exchangers but the burnpot needs something a bit more rugged.

Just a tip Every day when I get home from work I give a quick but strong scrape of the back of the burnpot, Just to keep the carbon from really building up (it only takes a minute and the stove is still running when I do this)

On the advance the major buildup is always on the left hand side of the burnpot and the glass always fogs on that side first.
There seems to be a bunch of 25 owners here.... What side is worse for clinkers and which is worse for the glass fogging up?

Left side for me had the most build up...and I was thinking as I was scraping it..."there MUST" be a better tool for this"...and the right side and top of my glass fogs worst.
Check this out for suggestions :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3523/

I was thinking of a wood working "turners" gouge...something with a wooden handle to grip, as the metal scraper that comes with the xxv gets really warm and it is possible to absentmindedly turn it around to use the other end and maybe burn your hand DAMHIKT :O

After that good scrape down the stove has been running MUCH better.
I have also come to the conclusion that I need to trust in the stove manufacturers knowledge and use the electronics to run the stove.
So I am now on room temp 68-70* feed rate of 3 and the fan on high. I'm letting the stove run itself. It going all the time now, but its not really using a whole bunch of pellets right now. And the room is at 68*. My biggest worry was the stove wasn't going to be able to heat the space I want it too. But since I cranked it the other night I know it can do it.
I vacuumed the stove out well last night. Pulled the cover off the igniter. Lots of fine ash in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.