Pellet Furnace - new guy questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure its a filter, most furnaces I know of have one. Including the Harman, St. Criox, and Fahrenhiet. Small, yet effective. Its a big blower that you don't want to get Dust bunnies and Dog hair on.

turbotech said:
Is that a filter at the back bottom of the pellet furnace or is it designed to be tied into the existing cold air return? How did you block off the existing duct work to the oil burner?

Yes, it's a filter. I keep planning to put a slide type plate in the duct to block off the other furnace, but haven't yet and it works fine, probably would be better with one.

I put slide plates (isolation dampers) in both furnaces hot air ducts downstream of their high limit/fan control switches. (The Harmon installation instructions say this is the only location for isolation dampers.) When the sheet metal workers from the furnace co. came to install the new ducting for the pellet furnace I had them install furnace filter slides where the isolation dampers should be and had them make a simple removable plate to fit. The picture below is the isolation damper for the oil furnace; the isolation damper for the pellet furnaces is similar. Very simple and cheap to install and the high limit/fan control switches will shut off the furnace fuel feed if I forget to slide the damper plate out. I speak from experience: when the max temp of the fan/limit switch was reached in the pellet burner it stops the auger motor. (I checked the furnace electrical diagrams first)

damper2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.