Pellet insert installation help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

55Trucker

Jan 13, 2022
Maine
My son is in the process of removing a gas fireplace insert with a pellet insert, specifically, the QuadraFire CB1200-I. (The fireplace it is going into is not a real fireplace, but a structure in his family room made out of 2x4s, cement board, and fake stone cemented to it. with a slate hearth. - This QuadraFire insert fits this enclosure perfectly.)

As I have read the installation manual multiple times, I continue to be hung up on exactly how to make the exhaust vent connection. The gas insert that was in there had a corrugated, flexible pipe that ran the short distance from the top of the stove to the through-the-wall vent thimble (I hope that is the right term), about 2' above the stove. This pipe that goes through the wall to the outside is 8" in diameter and double walled. The vent pipe that comes off the Quadrafire is 3", and he bought a 3"-4" QuadraFire vent adapter (though it is not yet obvious to me how this adapter attaches).

How do I make the transition from 4" (assuming I use the adapter) to the 8" outdoor vent? I keep reading about Type L and Type PL piping. Is there a "right" way to do this? Should I throw away the vent that goes through the wall and put in something else? Can a flex pipe be used? Thank you for any help and guidance that you can provide. (The old gas insert ran a solid 4" galvanized pipe inside an 8" flexible pipe, something that I've never seen before.)

Remove the gas vent entirely & run pellet vent thru an APPROVED pellet thimble all the way to the cap, according to the installation manual. That is the only APPROVED and SAFE method.

Reactions: mralias and johneh
Throw all the gas pipes away not approved for a pellet stove

Reactions: Washed-Up
I want to do the same. I I use pellet stove approved piping, can I keep it hidden behind the 2x4 and sheetrock "chimney" wall? I appreciate the help.