Pellet install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biglumber

Jan 19, 2008
Colorado
I'd like to seal the thimble gap(area between the thimble and the pipe passing thru) with something to block the draft coming in the house. I'm using pellet-vent double wall(simpson).
Any recommendations?

TIA

I found painters caulk is adequate to seal edges of the wall plates to the siding outside, drywall inside and for inlet tubing, minimal heat in these areas. Suggest High temp silicon sealer available at hardware and building supply stores for the double wall exhaust pipe to the wall plates. No need for anything like furnace cement as with wood burning stoves. As a temporary stopgap I stuffed some aluminum foil seal around to the pipe because that is what I had.

Seems to me I was going to buy special fireproof packing material but realized it wasn't that hot and used fibreglass insulation packed tightly since loosely doesn't stop any air-assuming you mean between pipe and thimble.Someone say so if this is bad advice but it works for me.

Use black silicone caulk. That will withstand the heat the best.

pete324rocket said:
Seems to me I was going to buy special fireproof packing material but realized it wasn't that hot and used fibreglass insulation packed tightly since loosely doesn't stop any air-assuming you mean between pipe and thimble.Someone say so if this is bad advice but it works for me.

the area between the pipe and the inside of the passthrough thimble were not intended to be filled, this is a standoff for the clearance to combustibles for the pass through of the pipe. better to seal the seams around the pipe inside and out with high temp rtv, i would strongly suggest contacting simpson duravent and checking before inserting any materials into that void. number for their tech line is 800-835-4429, or e mail them via the contact us at www.duravent.com

Thanks guys. I won't be rock wooling the thimble. Any ideas where I can find this high temp rtv?

Biglumber said:
Thanks guys. I won't be rock wooling the thimble. Any ideas where I can find this high temp rtv?

Lowe's and Home Depot in the caulk department. ACE Hardware back with the stove pipe stuff.

BeGreen, Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.