Pellet "Log" Cages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Just thought I relate my experience with the reusable stainless steel pellet log cages I just recieved in the mail over the weekend, You get 4 in a set, $34, graduating sizes so they all fit inside each other for storage. I cut a cheapo funnel to fill 2 and tested in the outdoor fire pit. They come with 2 stands, just 10" v-shaped stands of same material. I was surprised how well they worked, though they take some time to get a healty fire going. I think I could use a little more kindling, I wanted to use the smallest amount to start with. As the logs burned out, the ash falls out. After the fire was out, a few shakes and it was ready to fill again. And they cool down surprisingly fast when taken out of the fire.

Next I put 1 of the larger logs on the stands in the wood stove with some small sticks for kindling underneath. Closed the door and it took right off, seemed to work better in the stove. I could see the red hot pellet core in the basket after turning the air down. I'm going to get a new bag of pellets tonight and test 3 logs at once in the stove and time the burn. So far so good.

What do you mean by pellet "logs"? Can you provide a link?

Thanks for the link and report. Now I see what you've got. I have some leftover stainless hardware cloth. It might be fun to make a couple of these with that. How long does a big pellet log burn for you?

out the outdoor pit I used 2 logs and it burned for about 2 hours, although I didn't time it. I will next time. I ran out of pellets.

update: did another test this weekend Sunday morning. I put the 2 biggest cages (with Somerset pellets) in the Regency at 10:30 am with a small SC chunk between them. Cages took off with no fuss, creating so healthy a fire in about 20 minutes, that I had to turned down the air. At about 50 minutes I turned the air down again and had good glowing cores and fire off the top (secondarys ?). This went on for another hour. All tolled the load lasted about 2.5 to 3 hours. That's not long, but consider these 2 cages are 3 1/2" x 12" and 3" x 12". I used about 4 or 5 plastic dixie cups to fill each one. I need to measure exactly the amount of pellets used for a whole set of 4 logs. But I think you can fill all 4 at least 10 times with 1 bag of pellets at $4.59.

My next test will be all four at once in the Morso.

20131006_113327.jpg

What kind of stove top temps were you seeing during this burn?

i don't have a stove thermometer. Is there such thing for an insert?

Depends on the stove model. Your signature doesn't indicate which Regency this is.

I have the original owners's book at home. Its from 1987, if I'm remembering correctly. Its the old version of the
Regency Classic, I1200, Small Wood Insert

That could be a tough one. It would take an IR thermometer to read off one of the upper corners of the stove face.

Interesting. How does one re-load the stove. Seems as though you would need second set. Remove the first set of cages to let the metal cool and toss in a second set?

yes
Interesting. How does one re-load the stove. Seems as though you would need second set. Remove the first set of cages to let the metal cool and toss in a second set?

yes. but they cool very quickly. I took one out with a fireplace grabber thing and set it on my cooking grate and it was cool in about 5 minutes, maybe less. you can also order only specific sizes, say you want only 3 of the larger size, that would be cheaper as I remember.

or you could alternate wood and pellet cages. burn wood down to coal bed, throw in pellet cages, when they go out, bank some coals and start over again. adding new logs isn't the issue as I see it, its arranging the load so you can get the empties out. as with everything, its just trial and error. i think staggering would work, put two in, then wait a while and put in a third, when the original two are extinguished take them out and add the forth, fill the two you just took out keep that going. does that make sense?

yes

yes. but they cool very quickly. I took one out with a fireplace grabber thing and set it on my cooking grate and it was cool in about 5 minutes, maybe less. you can also order only specific sizes, say you want only 3 of the larger size, that would be cheaper as I remember.

or you could alternate wood and pellet cages. burn wood down to coal bed, throw in pellet cages, when they go out, bank some coals and start over again. adding new logs isn't the issue as I see it, its arranging the load so you can get the empties out. as with everything, its just trial and error. i think staggering would work, put two in, then wait a while and put in a third, when the original two are extinguished take them out and add the forth, fill the two you just took out keep that going. does that make sense?
Makes sense especially if your wood supply is not seasoned under 20% moisture reading. Filling the cages cheaper than using the bio bricks?

Seems like a lot of work and added "burn yourself" risk for a very short burning load. Cost? 30 hours for $4.59? If 8 pounds in the four logs, that is only about 64000 BTU max. per load. 10 loads a bag=80 pound bags? I also note the site does not recommend these for wood stoves...doesn't mention wood stove use. Specifically mentions other uses. I'd think you might get an awfully hot fire if you put many of those logs in the stove....probably better and safer to go with good quality processed fire logs. Not sure of the advantage of the pellets?

so, I refilled all the cages last night. It took one 6.25qt plastic container to fill all cages. i could only find a 50lb bag of grain to quart conversion. so any help on how many quarts a bag of pellets is would be helpful. i know this is a calculation for burn time only, not btus. i'm also estimating burn hrs per fill until I can actually test with all four logs together.

qts/bag cost/bag qts/fill fills burn hrs/fill hrs/bag cost/hr
40 4.59 6.25 6.4 5 32 $0.14

qts/bag: 40
cost/bag: 4.59
qts/fill: 6.25
fills: 6.4
burn hrs/fill: 5
hrs/bag: 32
cost/hr: $0.14

I also note the site does not recommend these for wood stoves...doesn't mention wood stove use. Specifically mentions other uses. I'd think you might get an awfully hot fire if you put many of those logs in the stove....probably better and safer to go with good quality processed fire logs. Not sure of the advantage of the pellets?

i originally bought these for the outdoor fire pit as my wife likes a fire, but not the occasional wood smoke blown her way. if i get a hot fire, wouldn't i need to use less fuel to get the same btus as wood?

Just ran across this, its called a Bradley Burner
FAQ.jpg

Looks pretty easy to fab one up yourself, dont think Id buy one for the 200 dollars he wants.

My thought is this might be an easy way to get someone who isnt a regular burner using the stove when your not around. figure out the amounts, make some instructions, buy a grain scoop...

Maybe something like this

Remove grate clean out ashes
Replace grate
Put 3 scoops on grate
place fire starter in the front and light...
20min later adjust air to 1/2

i'm skeptical about the grates, it seems like after loading its just a big pile of pellets. a big pile of pellets won't work. to make pellets work, you need to have air/space around as many side as possible. you never know what they did to make the demo work, he could have been splashing it with gel starter every 30 seconds.

i'm skeptical about the grates, it seems like after loading its just a big pile of pellets. a big pile of pellets won't work. to make pellets work, you need to have air/space around as many side as possible. you never know what they did to make the demo work, he could have been splashing it with gel starter every 30 seconds.

Possible, but Im guessing not, I may fab one up out of mild steel, knowing it will fall apart quickly, it will give me a good idea about how it works.

I've thought about making one, not to burn pellets, but to burn the smaller chunks of wood after cutting/splitting/stacking. never got around to it.

would prefer to have a good way to burn the bark that falls off. Just tossing it in the stove sucks, that stuff never wants to burn.... ready to stary throwing out the bark.

For me the one drawback is similar to the log pellet baskets that have been discussed here in the past - I'm a bit of a klutz - not sure I'd wanna be pulling hot pieces of metal out of the firebox or parking them on the hearth to cool off (not much room there anyway). But it is an interesting experiment and may work well for those with a more forgiving setup.

I've thought about making one, not to burn pellets, but to burn the smaller chunks of wood after cutting/splitting/stacking. never got around to it.

would prefer to have a good way to burn the bark that falls off. Just tossing it in the stove sucks, that stuff never wants to burn.... ready to stary throwing out the bark.

Outside fire pit, unless (like me) you load it up with too much at once and smoke out the area for an hour (good thing the neighbors were not out that day).

So Im wondering if with a couple of Modifications I would find a way to burn woodchips, I now need an old stove to start the experiments...

Status
Not open for further replies.