Pellet & Log wood combo units?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cschwinn

Jul 5, 2008
NE Maine
I am trying to research the pellet & log wood combo units. I am looking at a new system for the addition/x-tra house we are building, and can heat the cheapest with a wood boiler. Still need a secondary system for times when I am away or just lazy, and considering a pellet stove (seems to be second cheapest source of heat). I was surprised to find little to no pellet/logwood combo units. Anyone else try this set-up? Am I missing the combo unit? I can find one out of the UK (Solarfocus - Therminator II) which sounds and looks impressive - but I can't understand all of it because it is not in US dimentions/outputs, etc. Anyone else have ideas or have worked with this company? I am trying to find a distributor in the US.

When I spoke to Zennon at New Horizons, that was my deciding factor for purchasing the BioMax 40 because it burns Seasoned Wood, Corn Cobs with Kernels, 50% of Coal, Saw Dust, Wood Chips (50%), any kind of pellets. Maybe someone will chime in that has one and the efficiency of it.

Bob

Thanks Bob! That looks like a nice set-up, but I didn't see any hopper. Did I miss it? I would like to have a pellet reserve if I can't load log wood in the boiler. Maybe it is cleaner to go with two separate boilers? Just sounds more expensive...I will have to research the BioMax a bit more...

check out alternate heating systems' "wood gun", not exactly what you want though as you have to change the firebrick around to change from one to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.