Help with Newmac combo furnace gasket material?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hitchhikerx

Sep 23, 2022
Northeast
Hi,

Newmac (well, US Stove) discontinued the CL86/96G wood/oil/coal combo furnaces earlier this year, and at the same time they discontinued all replacement parts. I've called them and asked this, but I can't seem to find someone who actually knows these furnaces -- which seems to be a common experience going back years, per other forum posts.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this 1/8'' rigid foil-faced fiberglass material is that they've used for gaskets for both the firebox and the oil combustion chamber opening, so I can buy some to cut my own replacements. Can anyone here help identify it? I've searched and searched with no luck.

1663951136274.png

Thanks!

Hi,

Newmac (well, US Stove) discontinued the CL86/96G wood/oil/coal combo furnaces earlier this year, and at the same time they discontinued all replacement parts. I've called them and asked this, but I can't seem to find someone who actually knows these furnaces -- which seems to be a common experience going back years, per other forum posts.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this 1/8'' rigid foil-faced fiberglass material is that they've used for gaskets for both the firebox and the oil combustion chamber opening, so I can buy some to cut my own replacements. Can anyone here help identify it? I've searched and searched with no luck.

View attachment 299298
Thanks!
Hello Hitchhiker, I went through the same same thing just got the furnace up and running actually because of scrubbing the net to find a thing. Was able to get the front gasket which was the last one they had. So I ordered it. Almost over a month to get it here. Total chit show. Anyway I was grateful for the arrival. Upon opening it the gasket was very very brittle. I got it in place and still needed all the gaskets for the fire door and ashdoor. The part number i had given them was supposed to be for all of them. So I’ve had lots of experience with boilers and lagging material from my naval days. I found some on Amazon and actually just arrived yesterday and I put it on and seems to be working fine. I had to cut to fit but it’s good material rated upto 2100 degrees. I used spray glue adhesive and fired it up this morning and quite impressed with how well it works. I can send you a pic of the company if you need it. It come in a roll and it’s 1/8 thick not foiled. The company is Lynn manufacturing here’s a picture of the
1668712685527.jpeg

Hello Hitchhiker, I went through the same same thing just got the furnace up and running actually because of scrubbing the net to find a thing. Was able to get the front gasket which was the last one they had. So I ordered it. Almost over a month to get it here. Total chit show. Anyway I was grateful for the arrival. Upon opening it the gasket was very very brittle. I got it in place and still needed all the gaskets for the fire door and ashdoor. The part number i had given them was supposed to be for all of them. So I’ve had lots of experience with boilers and lagging material from my naval days. I found some on Amazon and actually just arrived yesterday and I put it on and seems to be working fine. I had to cut to fit but it’s good material rated upto 2100 degrees. I used spray glue adhesive and fired it up this morning and quite impressed with how well it works. I can send you a pic of the company if you need it. It come in a roll and it’s 1/8 thick not foiled. The company is Lynn manufacturing here’s a picture of the View attachment 303009
Thank you for the constructive reply! Interestingly, this is exactly the solution that I arrived at -- though I cut that material for the gaskets for both the oil and wood sides, used sodium silicate as my adhesive and hardener, and added a 1/2'' baffle board for additional rigidity on the open part of the oil side. The furnace has been running fine with this since October.

I have not used this for the firedoor and ashdoor; I have an original 30+ year old gasket (though I flipped it around to use the "fresh" side a year or so back) for the firedoor, and a Newmac-supplied Durlon 8300 gasket on the ashdoor. Have you burned wood yet, and is the Lynn 9601 holding up well to the direct heat/flame? If so, I'll consider it if/when I need to replace the firedoor gasket.

Thank you for the constructive reply! Interestingly, this is exactly the solution that I arrived at -- though I cut that material for the gaskets for both the oil and wood sides, used sodium silicate as my adhesive and hardener, and added a 1/2'' baffle board for additional rigidity on the open part of the oil side. The furnace has been running fine with this since October.

I have not used this for the firedoor and ashdoor; I have an original 30+ year old gasket (though I flipped it around to use the "fresh" side a year or so back) for the firedoor, and a Newmac-supplied Durlon 8300 gasket on the ashdoor. Have you burned wood yet, and is the Lynn 9601 holding up well to the direct heat/flame? If so, I'll consider it if/when I need to replace the firedoor gasket.
Oh good deal. Yes first thing I did was built a fire so far so good. The oil side don’t use much kind of standby.