Pellet Mill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltlhawk

Burning Hunk
Nov 24, 2012
Pelham, NH
Has anyone tried making your own pellets from leaves? I saw a youtube on it and was wondering what you think. \

I'm happy having other people make my pellets for me.

If somebody can pull this off, well, leaves are more renewable more quickly than trees, I guess ...

Do not fall for it. Research this site and you will get a wealth of information.

Eric

Ive looked into the equipment kinda pricey $2400 for the machine in the video. Love to know how they burn. I may try some crushed acorns at some point. I have literally tons of them around my property. In the fall they are so bad you cant stand in some areas as youll get hit in the head with them.

If all that was required to make good pellets was to compress biomass, then there would be no need for this site, as they would all be the same.
I have a customer who has one of these. He tried making pellets from leaves, paper, grass, road kill etc....He has had it for at least six years. Every year when I deliver his pellets to him, we get a good laugh. It still sits in the same spot in his garage that it has been in for all six years. If you are serious about buying one, I bet I can get you a deal on his.

I think this subject falls into that "to good to be true" category. I just happened to see that video while searching out some stove cleaning tips and thought to myself that it looked kind of cool and might try it, but now I think maybe just stick to buying and stacking....

I could see a rental place making some money on one of these. I would try it for $50 for a day to get it out of my system. They I could say Im glad I didnt spend $2k on one of these. Of course you would have to make a lot of pellets for $50 to make it worthwhile.

Kinda like exercise equipment. You use it for a few months then it becomes a clothes rack.

Eric

Reactions: ltlhawk
I could see a rental place making some money on one of these. I would try it for $50 for a day to get it out of my system. They I could say Im glad I didnt spend $2k on one of these. Of course you would have to make a lot of pellets for $50 to make it worthwhile.

Great idea....

Renting is a great idea! BUT they would also have to rent a hammer mill, which the pellet maker people fail to mention AND you would need binder since the little mills don't get hot enough to release the lignin.

Oh, and do you realize how many leaves it would take to make 4 tons of pellets??? Yes, 4 tons of leaves!

Not just the amount of leaves. But the ash content of grass and leaves is Ridiculous!!!

Better return if you Spring (early) buy all your pellets, for the rest of your pellet burning days

You could always use wet leaves they would weigh more :)
Yea, :) That is actually another point about making pellets. You need to maintain a narrow band of moisture content so you need a surface contact type moisture meter. Maybe they rent that as part of the 'package'..

Not just the amount of leaves. But the ash content of grass and leaves is Ridiculous
That is the straw breaker. Dont need to add that kind of ash to my system. I will abandon the idea... (for now.. hehehe)

Thanks everyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.