Pellet Pail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks Excell..... with all the glass, that corner of our living room was a place to stay 'away' from in the winter but it had the best view..... it suddenly came to me last winter after living here for over 20 years (duh) :gulp: .....and man, this is now the nicest spot in the house ..... :lol:

Nice job CanadaClinker that looks great. If I tried to build that I am sure it would look like a cross between a trash bin and a tree fort. I was thinking of something along the lines of an old steamer trunk for hearth side storage but opted for the pail instead. Your setup seems real functional and looks great too.

CanadaClinker, what community are you located in?

CanadaClinker said:
Ok.... I have to get in on this one..... If you own a chop saw and maybe a table saw, (and still have all your fingers) throw one of these together in about 2 1/2 weeks of puttering. Holds 10 bags of pellets (10 or so days worth) I also choose to filter the fines..... (just cut the bag and let the pellets roll down the filter screen...has a side vac port for sucking the dust). Then my wife or I can scoop a manageable ~20 lbs of pellets using the coal hod to fill the hopper in about 4 scoops (80lb hopper). What else do you do in the winter but think of some projects to pass the time..... fill the coal hod with your seasonal flowers or arrangement and it's there till you need it........... :)

Nice Job! I wonder if my wife would let me use her Cedar Chest for this? Probably not, huh?

timbo said:
CanadaClinker said:
Ok.... I have to get in on this one..... If you own a chop saw and maybe a table saw, (and still have all your fingers) throw one of these together in about 2 1/2 weeks of puttering. Holds 10 bags of pellets (10 or so days worth) I also choose to filter the fines..... (just cut the bag and let the pellets roll down the filter screen...has a side vac port for sucking the dust). Then my wife or I can scoop a manageable ~20 lbs of pellets using the coal hod to fill the hopper in about 4 scoops (80lb hopper). What else do you do in the winter but think of some projects to pass the time..... fill the coal hod with your seasonal flowers or arrangement and it's there till you need it........... :)

Nice Job! I wonder if my wife would let me use her Cedar Chest for this? Probably not, huh?

You know... I have a cedar chest in my living room as a coffee table and that was my first thought when I saw their chest. ;-)

thanks guys for the nice comments.....appreciate it.... we kind of use this 'pellet chest' like a coffee table of sorts.... nothng wrong with a cedar chest either.... :lol: ......... 6 coats of varathane sure makes the grain come out nice..... cc

...click on pic to enlarge...

Attachments

• DSCN7979.jpg
    DSCN7979.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 419
CanadaClinker said:
thanks Excell..... with all the glass, that corner of our living room was a place to stay 'away' from in the winter but it had the best view..... it suddenly came to me last winter after living here for over 20 years (duh) :gulp: .....and man, this is now the nicest spot in the house ..... :lol:

I must say, Canada Clinker has one of the nicest stove/room/pellet storage set-ups that I've seen....I'm VERY jealous!!! ;-)
I'd be spending a LOT of time sitting in front of that stove, with the great view of the snow flying.

Clinker......I remember when I saw the pellet storage chest for the first time last winter, but forget if you made it w/o plans, or did you have something to follow. I'd love to make one from Aromatic Cedar (taught woodworking for many years in local HS wood shop).

macman said:
CanadaClinker said:

I must say, Canada Clinker has one of the nicest stove/room/pellet storage set-ups that I've seen....I'm VERY jealous!!! ;-)
I'd be spending a LOT of time sitting in front of that stove, with the great view of the snow flying.

Clinker......I remember when I saw the pellet storage chest for the first time last winter, but forget if you made it w/o plans, or did you have something to follow. I'd love to make one from Aromatic Cedar (taught woodworking for many years in local HS wood shop).

thanks macman....yes it turned around our living space and the rest of the house is now getting neglected..... :lol:

The plans started with a stack of 4 pellet bags on the floor beside the stove and I planned on making it to hold 8 bags in their plastic.... (then afterwards when I decided I wanted to clean the pellets, I found that the loose pellets would settle more and I could get 10 bags in her). Just used a chunk of 3/4 inch plywood for the base (giving about 1 inch all around the stack of bags) along with tongue in groove pine..... the first level screwed (and glued)to the base all the way around so the pressure from the pellets wouldn't bow it. Then used 2x2's on the inside corners and cut a temp block to keep their spacing..... then just went up the hight of the stack of bags with the tongue & groove (and lots of glue)..... seemed to work out ok....then put a lid on her with hinges....simple...... :lol: ..........cc

A friend of mine who works in a pet store gave me 2 large decorative metal containers they use to put Eukanuba dog food in, the cans have really nice photos of Dogs of all types on them, and each large can will hold a full 40 lb bag of pellets, and has a lid too. I use a large scoop to scoop and pour the pellets into the hopper.

I placed one can on each side of my Castile insert, and they look great. Best of all they were free. If you go to one of the pet stores you can ask if they have them, my friend says sometimes they have several empty ones just laying around and would be glad to give them away, otherwise they end up in the trash.

That pellet pail is nice but I'd never pay $90 for a container to put pellets in, thats just too much money for a pail in my opinion, but as one gentleman said, to each his/her own. Im glad youre enjoying it. My insert also cost me $4,000, and the two metal cans on each side of it really look great.

Haubera said:
Forgive a naive newbie... if I fill my stove cold then the bag won't really be an issue, it's only if you want to fill the stove hot that this pail is necessary, isn't it? And then I'm not supposed to have the top open while I'm actively burning, so....?? Like I said, I'm new to this, have yet to even get the whole thing going. Have the stove in the living room, along with all the piping, but haven't actually started the install. Saving that for the weekend. But that's another story. :cheese:

I know it says in the manual not to open the hopper when stove is running, but Englander techs will tell you it's OK. Just don't leave it open for extended periods. It wouldn't be very practical to let the stove go cold to fill the hopper. Don't take my word for it, give them a call.

I would seriously consider something like that wood box if I had more room for something like that...I still might make something like that but it would mean rearranging the livingroom a bit...

Panhandler said:
Haubera said:
Forgive a naive newbie... if I fill my stove cold then the bag won't really be an issue, it's only if you want to fill the stove hot that this pail is necessary, isn't it? And then I'm not supposed to have the top open while I'm actively burning, so....?? Like I said, I'm new to this, have yet to even get the whole thing going. Have the stove in the living room, along with all the piping, but haven't actually started the install. Saving that for the weekend. But that's another story. :cheese:

I know it says in the manual not to open the hopper when stove is running, but Englander techs will tell you it's OK. Just don't leave it open for extended periods. It wouldn't be very practical to let the stove go cold to fill the hopper. Don't take my word for it, give them a call.

Finally burning and have opened the hopper several times just to check the level. See what you did by telling me it was ok? ;)

And I just made my own pail from a 10 gallon galvanized pail (has a lid) a piece of 2x4, the scoop of a hand spade, and some carriage bolts. Stuck the short metal handle of the spade in a hole in the 2x4 and bolted it to the bottom of the pail. May need to file the spade to sharpen the point a bit, but that's where I am for now.

Pictures are required . Where did you find the pail ?

Excell said:
Pictures are required . Where did you find the pail ?
Got the pail from the local ranch and home store. Pictures will have to wait as I just filled it up again so you wouldn't see anything but the pellets. But the good news is the spade did what it should and poked a hole in the bottom. Not sure it was really worth the extra work, but it's done now.

I wish I had the talent to make something as nice as that, Clinker. I'm using a decorative chest that we used to use to hold video tapes (remember them?) It's ok but I'm keeping my eyes open for something better. Oh, it only holds two bags..

Chandler

Attachments

• Pellet bin 001 (Small).jpg
    Pellet bin 001 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Pellet bin 002 (Small).jpg
    Pellet bin 002 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 258
The pics look really good and make the rooms look good. I see how storing some pellets in the living area close to the stove is convenient. In my case, I store the pellets in the attached garage. I just grab a bag from there, cut it open and dump it into the hopper. If I'm being lazy, I can bring in a second bag and have it near the stove for when it's needed.

Eventually, I'll probably figure out a container - - -but it's just for looks. (Right?)

CWR said:
I wish I had the talent to make something as nice as that, Clinker. I'm using a decorative chest that we used to use to hold video tapes (remember them?) It's ok but I'm keeping my eyes open for something better. Oh, it only holds two bags..

Chandler

I like it it is unique .

2 bags is better than the 1 my holds. On the other hand, I can lift mine. No way I can hoist 80. :) But it looks much prettier than my pail!

Status
Not open for further replies.