Pellet palletizer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a little sloppy with the stacking, great idea tho.

just sayin.

@smoke show - yea its sloppy in that vid - first few runs we were getting it all dialed in...tweaking positions, etc....it stacks nicely and the customer has their actual bags now which help as they are thicker and dont bunch up after flattening

@smokey - yea there are some extremely fast setups out there....some 4 axis palletizing specific robots out there are very fast and expensive.... some of our customers look for used 6 axis robots that are about 1/3 the cost.....but you don't get the faster cycle time....

Interesting! In my past life of working, I installed and programmed a robot for an injection molding line that made plastic covers for fiber drums. The robot would take the cover from the injection molder and place it onto a turntable where liquid gasketing was applied. It would pick it back up and insert it into a fixture that had 50 slots so it could cool flat. It would then take the oldest cover out of the fixture and stack it onto a pallet. Depending on the diameter of the cover, it would place either 4 or 5 stacks on the pallet. When it had 25 covers on each stack, it would pick up a sheet of cardboard and place it over the stacks to hold them together. It kept up this routine until there were 150 covers in each stack and then signal for a new pallet.
Now THAT was a program!!! :)

I also installed and programmed welding robots on our assembly lines. Fun job!

Robots are cool and never complain of back aches! :)

I get to tinker with some small arms in the day job. But we only need to handle parts that weigh just ounces. Not 40 pound loads. Interesting to say the least.

Can you share what mill its working at? I could only see plain bags. Are these industrial grade fuel? Sorry for all the question's! :red:

j-takeman said:
Robots are cool and never complain of back aches! :)

I get to tinker with some small arms in the day job. But we only need to handle parts that weigh just ounces. Not 40 pound loads. Interesting to say the least.

Can you share what mill its working at? I could only see plain bags. Are these industrial grade fuel? Sorry for all the question's! :red:

Sure - its at Eden Pellets in Chesapeke... The white bags were just test bags (before they got their actual bags in place)... so the stack looks crappy and the bags are all beat because we had to re-use them over and over....but its running in full effect now.

They are consumer pellet manufacturers... I actually just got a 22 ton truck load of them in - since I am burning pellets, I thought I'd get myself set up with their pellets to burn and sell some as well... So I am now a dealer for them in Western PA...however I really haven't advertised yet...
I don't have a lot to compare with other than Lowes brand - but I can say that the Eden pellets require more air through the inflow draft, in turn producing more heat IMO.... They are cut more uniformly where as the Lowes pellets some were short, some long, and were a much darker color... Overall I am happy with them so far....but again my experience is limited....this is all a new venture for me....burning and selling pellets...what do I get myself into LOL...

I also did a system at Anderson Hardwood who does Kentucky Kernl....I may give them a try at some point....there are more reviews out there on their pellets as they have been around for at least 5 years now. Eden is new.

My brother, along with a couple other guys, is in charge of the production line of S&W (the gun company). He was showing me the code on just ONE CNC machine to do what I thought was a fairly simple operation, and it was pages long. It was all jibber jabber to me, but to him it made complete sense.

NATE379 said:
My brother, along with a couple other guys, is in charge of the production line of S&W (the gun company). He was showing me the code on just ONE CNC machine to do what I thought was a fairly simple operation, and it was pages long. It was all jibber jabber to me, but to him it made complete sense.

I think I'm keeping your brother in business, Nate! :) My two best friends > Smith and Wesson.

when i was 15 i was the robot palletizer. i used to stack 80lb seed corn bags in layer of 5, 10 high, maybe more. i stood in one of two 3 sided boxes with the conveyor over head. id stand on the layers as they formed until the box was full then jump over into the other box. never got behind the bag sewer. took about five minutes to build a stack. i did this all day long. how i envied those fork truck drivers and prayed for the bag filler to drop a bag. i got a lot of respect for being able to keep up with the sewerbut paying for it now with a worn out back.

3650 said:
when i was 15 i was the robot palletizer. i used to stack 80lb seed corn bags in layer of 5, 10 high, maybe more. i stood in one of two 3 sided boxes with the conveyor over head. id stand on the layers as they formed until the box was full then jump over into the other box. never got behind the bag sewer. took about five minutes to build a stack. i did this all day long. how i envied those fork truck drivers and prayed for the bag filler to drop a bag. i got a lot of respect for being able to keep up with the sewerbut paying for it now with a worn out back.

Wow, I'd love to see a few of the OWS guys take THAT JOB! I think we've forgotten how hard people used to really work, starting with our grandmothers!

tjnamtiw said:
3650 said:

Wow, I'd love to see a few of the OWS guys take THAT JOB! I think we've forgotten how hard people used to really work, starting with our grandmothers!

My first real full time job, I worked for a company that made Hydrolysed vegetable protein for soup stock/boilun cubes. We had to unload rail cars couple times a week. Mostly corn and grain that weighted 80 each. All my back problems relate to those first years of being young and dumb. Never wore the back belt and probably should have.

I washed dishes at a Philco plant for $0.85 an hour at night while going to school and then at an ice cream plant making popcicles on the weekends and the summer for a buck an hour. No hard, hard labor but a lot of labor. Glad to have the job, though and never complained.

Put a few of them in a fish cannery. I recommend the pickling shed to start with, from there they can work up to the really nice jobs.

Put them all first in line to take jobs that the deported illegal aliens had before we rounded them up. No workee, no payee.

Hi Guys,

Noticed this thread a little while ago. I've been working on our new bagging line for the last few months and, now that it's operational, I've taken a short video for you. I only had my little Kodak photo camera to take the video with so the resolution isn't that great, but it's still ok.

Video is here: http://youtu.be/mmXdArzBeG0

ScotL said:
Hi Guys,

Noticed this thread a little while ago. I've been working on our new bagging line for the last few months and, now that it's operational, I've taken a short video for you. I only had my little Kodak photo camera to take the video with so the resolution isn't that great, but it's still ok.

Looks nice! Lot of work went into that I'm sure!

ScotL said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing. Hope you share more of the plant with us when you can. Looks fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.