Pellet Pig Strikes Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FordMastertech said:
86 toy said:
well i did it! went this evening and picked up 4 tons of clean energy pellets at lowes on 0% for 18 months.. here are the pics so it really did happen

nothing like an old big block chevy to get the job done :coolgrin:
Nice haul but it looks like you still have a lot of room on that trailer. Put that "Big Block Chevy" to work, you can't beat cubic inches when work like this needs to be done.

I was a Chevy guy many years ago and still have my 75 GMC Jimmy retired to snow plow duty, but now Ford is paying the bills.
I wanted to grab my neighbors trailer and put all 6 tons on it but he was using it to transport his skid steer for snow bank removal so I ended up using mine and did 3 tons at a time.

well 4 ton put that trailer at its limit.. it's a 10000 lb equipment hauler so 8000 lbs of pellets plus the 2100 lbs the trailer weighs it was at it limit.. the 454 was working hard but i think it could pull more if the hitch could handle it.. that truck and trailer is my best friends we have built it from the frame up...

oliveone said:
Yes you have the big rig for sure. Is it a big savings when buy like that. What is the price per ton?

IIRC Snowy (who burns nut shells) pays $40.00 per ton.

FordMastertech said:
Had a several more 10% off coupons from Lowe's that expire 02/15/11 and decided to get a few more pellets, 6 tons to be exact. They had the Infernos, YUK, and Prestologs in stock at the Plainville Ct. store, $187 a ton. I have burned the Prestologs from this batch and have no clinker issues and the heat output is slightly better than the Stove Chow I have. I picked up 3 tons of the Prestologs Saturday and stored them in the basement and went back today to get the other 3 tons. They came out with a ton of Somerset's for the guy loading his van and I asked if they had any more and they had 1 ton left so I took it along with 2 tons of the Prestologs. I haven't tried the Somerset's and this is against the try before you buy a ton but took them anyways.
The problem was getting them to the basement hatchway, 3 tons of pellets 5.5 tons of Excursion and trailer 2+ feet of snow = stuck in my mind, I decided it get out the old 1974 Ariens snowblower and make a path in the rear yard to the basement hatchway.
I now have 10.75 tons in the basement ready to burn, Stove Chow, Somerset's, Hammer's, Spruce Point's, Prestolog's and a few bags of Vermont's, Okanagan's, Rocky Mountain's.
The new puppy Cayanne checking out my pellets.

HA!!!! 10.75 tons is a mere pitance
you are still a little piggy
come back when you have 20 plus tons in storage
then you will be truly worthy

cute puppy

I can get 30,000 pounds in the truck.

I can store about 7000 pounds on the premises without having it piled in the yard.

Snowy

ironpony said:
FordMastertech said:

cute puppy

Did you ever hear the story of the F-16 pilot boasting about his speed to a Cessna Cub just before the SR-71 went by and pulled his wings off?

I just came back from looking at pellet boilers. If I go ahead (despite the daggers coming from my wifes eyes), I'm looking at bulk feeding into my cold room. I'm just concerned what to do with 40-50 tons if the house starts tilting........or I change the neighborhood gravitational field......LOL!

But so far, I'm playing with a couple of bags...... *squeek*

Spartan said:
ironpony said:
FordMastertech said:

cute puppy

Did you ever hear the story of the F-16 pilot boasting about his speed to a Cessna Cub just before the SR-71 went by and pulled his wings off? ....

:lol:

The only aircraft the I know of that actually grows about 6" and DOESN'T leak at speed....

ironpony said:
FordMastertech said:
Had a several more 10% off coupons from Lowe's that expire 02/15/11 and decided to get a few more pellets, 6 tons to be exact. They had the Infernos, YUK, and Prestologs in stock at the Plainville Ct. store, $187 a ton. I have burned the Prestologs from this batch and have no clinker issues and the heat output is slightly better than the Stove Chow I have. I picked up 3 tons of the Prestologs Saturday and stored them in the basement and went back today to get the other 3 tons. They came out with a ton of Somerset's for the guy loading his van and I asked if they had any more and they had 1 ton left so I took it along with 2 tons of the Prestologs. I haven't tried the Somerset's and this is against the try before you buy a ton but took them anyways.
The problem was getting them to the basement hatchway, 3 tons of pellets 5.5 tons of Excursion and trailer 2+ feet of snow = stuck in my mind, I decided it get out the old 1974 Ariens snowblower and make a path in the rear yard to the basement hatchway.
I now have 10.75 tons in the basement ready to burn, Stove Chow, Somerset's, Hammer's, Spruce Point's, Prestolog's and a few bags of Vermont's, Okanagan's, Rocky Mountain's.
The new puppy Cayenne checking out my pellets.

Maybe some day I will be a big piggy but being a little piggy ain't so bad for now.

ironpony said:
cute puppy

We had to get a playmate for our 10 year old Golden Retriever Sage. She has been lonesome since her mother Nutmeg passed away last June, thus the pup Cayenne.
I think they like each other. :)

Attachments

• The Girls 122 (Large).jpg
    The Girls 122 (Large).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 194
  • The Girls 303 (Large).jpg
    The Girls 303 (Large).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 180
  • The Girls 367 (Large).jpg
    The Girls 367 (Large).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 214
Snowy Rivers said:
Looking great troops.

Goota love all the heavy duty hardware to go get pellets.

He is how I do the nut shells.

Haul the stuff home in the rig and then fill many many barrels, plastic garbage cans and other containers.

Snowy

There is nothing I enjoy more than seeing the American flag along with a rig setup with a chute for manual labor dumping "waste" product put to good use. That is one of the best pictures I have seen in a long time.

Did you ever hear the story of the F-16 pilot boasting about his speed to a Cessna Cub just before the SR-71 went by and pulled his wings off?

havent heard that one, but do you know where the F-14 saying "Anytime Baby came from?
during development of the F-14 the US sent one over to Russia for a demo,
they sent up one F-14 and ten MIGS the F-14 splashed them all and returned
when the pilot exited the aircraft he exclaimed Anytime Baby
true story

[ The only aircraft the I know of that actually grows about 6" and DOESN'T leak at speed....[/quote]

pine barrons you have probably seen your share of F-14s flying around
I grew up there and worked for Grumman in R&D

Status
Not open for further replies.